How many wine makers do we have here?

Wow, very informative!
Thanks so much!
Where do you get all the chemicals?
In the past I purchased kits that already had them measured.
I really like dry wine, this sounds good.
Now to try and find produce on sale (peaches at food lion were $1.99/lb last time I was in there)
What is the alcohol percentage?

Wow, very informative!
Thanks so much!
Where do you get all the chemicals?
In the past I purchased kits that already had them measured.
I really like dry wine, this sounds good.
Now to try and find produce on sale (peaches at food lion were $1.99/lb last time I was in there)
What is the alcohol percentage?
Alcohol is variable since the fruit sugar is variable. It should be around 11-13%. Farmer's markets are always (around here) a good source for fruit. We also have a local homebrew shop with the chemicals, but if you don't, just check online for winemaking chemicals and supplies. I have never tried a kit since I prefer to "meddle" with different fruit combinations, and different types of yeast. (I do the same with baking!)

Also, there is a good book as a free downloadable pdf - "First Steps in Winemaking" by C.J.J. Berry. It was one of the first books I bought.

Happy winemaking
thumbsup.gif

Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!

What kind are you making?

Thanks,fig and fresh  blueberry with Old Orchard's blueberry pomegrante. Hope this one will work.

I'm excited to hear how it comes out.

I made fig and it was ok at first. The longer it sits, the better it gets. For some reason, it alcohol content was very low . I have to work on increasing that next time . I think I have 10 gallon bags of figs in the freezer. I'll try again later.

I'm excited to hear how it comes out.

I made fig and it was ok at first. The longer it sits, the better it gets. For some reason, it alcohol content was very low . I have to work on increasing that next time . I think I have 10 gallon bags of figs in the freezer. I'll try again later.

What was the alcohol content? How will you make the alcohal higher?

Quote: Alcohol is produced by the cobnversion of sugar to carbon dioxide gas, and alcohol, in approximatley equal parts (other things are produced too, in small quantities). If not enough sugar was used in the must, the alcohol content will be lower.

HOWEVER:-

Alcohol is produced by anaerobic fermentation - it does not use oxygen to ferment. So, if the must is agitated too much during fermentation, thereby introducing oxygen, there will be less alcohol produced, and more carbon dioxide gas, resulting in a lower alcohol wine. So, the must should not be stirred too much after the first day or two. Many novice winemakers do this and their wines suffer from it.

Last edited:
Do you all always use fresh fruit to make your wine?
It sounds so much better.
I only attempted the kits that already had must, but I still couldn't get it to come out right and both times the whole carboy was emptied out on the lawn haha.
I keep looking for fruit on sale around me, but so far no good deals....

Do you all always use fresh fruit to make your wine?
It sounds so much better.
I only attempted the kits that already had must, but I still couldn't get it to come out right and both times the whole carboy was emptied out on the lawn haha.
I keep looking for fruit on sale around me, but so far no good deals....

I have 3 fig trees, 3 pomgrante bushes, 20 blueberry bushes and wild persimnons. My neighbor has a pear tree. So we have alot of fresh fruit to use .

Back
Top Bottom