how many years do you keep your egg layers?

Seems like we are divided into 2 camps. And since we all like chickens we should agree to disagree. I have had chickens killed by feral cats. I would think a quick death would be a better end than that...even if they did end up in someones freezer. I don't then I have the skill or nerve to kill my own hens (would have to have someone else do it) But since I only have 4 of them they are more like pets that if I had 20 or more. I will probably let them 'free range' in my yard when they stop laying.

My oldest girl is 5 years old. She the only one of the first hatch I ever did. She no longer lays and hasn't for a couple years but she is the matriarch of the flock and no one bothers her. She has always been one of my gentlest and still is.
smile.png

4132_family_466.jpg

4132_family_469.jpg

This is Mops. She used to have so many feathers on her legs and feet that her name was appropriate and she was so much darker in markings. Like all of us, as we get older we lose hair and hair color fades.
lol.png

I never started with chickens for anything but for pets. I now have 30 chickens and they are all pets and come running to me when they see me - even my six roosters. I won't tell you that I have two tubes of saltines that I rattle.
thumbsup.gif
I have two incubator full of eggs and they will also be pets. The eggs that are laid I give away to family, friends, even my priest. They are hear for my enjoyment and to love and that is it. That is what all my animals are here for.

Back
Top Bottom