How many?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bloom chicks, Feb 22, 2012.

How many eggs should I give Grace (EE)?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2012.
  1. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I have a EE that is broody and I wanted to get your opinion on how many I should put under her. This is her 1st time being broody.

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure but I would be very comfortable with 8 and I might risk 10. 12 seems a bit high.

3. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Thank you for your response. I'm debating on 8 or 10. LOL

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

How's the fertility on your eggs?.. if it's high I would go with 6 to 8.. if it's low I would go with 10 ..

12 may be too many for her to keep under her if this is her first time

you also have to take into consideration that if she hatches out all the eggs that you put under her.. how many will be too many for her to keep track of once they hatch
    You don't want to overwhelm her with a large brood.. however you would want to give her a decent amount of chicks if she ends up being a good mom

5. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    This is my 3rd broody and I had given the other 2, 12 eggs and they hatched out 10 however the ones that didn't "hatch" were fully formed and they made it to pip not sure why they didn't complete the hatch.

6. yinepu

I would go with 8 then.. even if you have a couple that don't hatch it would give her enough chicks to take care of with out overwhelming her for her first brood

7. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Do you think 10 is too many?

8. yinepu

10 is the max I would give to her this time around.. personally I would be more comfortable with 8

if all 10 were to hatch out that's a lot of chicks for a first time mom to keep track of

9. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by