Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bloom chicks

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
FL
I have a EE that is broody and I wanted to get your opinion on how many I should put under her. This is her 1st time being broody.

How's the fertility on your eggs?.. if it's high I would go with 6 to 8.. if it's low I would go with 10 ..

12 may be too many for her to keep under her if this is her first time

you also have to take into consideration that if she hatches out all the eggs that you put under her.. how many will be too many for her to keep track of once they hatch
You don't want to overwhelm her with a large brood.. however you would want to give her a decent amount of chicks if she ends up being a good mom

This is my 3rd broody and I had given the other 2, 12 eggs and they hatched out 10 however the ones that didn't "hatch" were fully formed and they made it to pip not sure why they didn't complete the hatch.

This is my 3rd broody and I had given the other 2, 12 eggs and they hatched out 10 however the ones that didn't "hatch" were fully formed and they made it to pip not sure why they didn't complete the hatch.

I would go with 8 then.. even if you have a couple that don't hatch it would give her enough chicks to take care of with out overwhelming her for her first brood

Back
Top Bottom