how match space for two trios of jap quail

You should have at least 3, but that can sometimes cause problems as well. But no more than 5 or 6 at the most to ensure the eggs are fertile. The males can get quite rough when it's breeding season, if there aren't enough females he can injure them.

Most of mine are in 2'x2' cages, the sides are 1"x1 1/2" welded wire, the bottoms are 1/2"x1" welded wire. I wouldn't recommend the 1"x1 1/2" welded wire unless you are sure nothing can get to them. I thought mine were safe until this morning. We have a montrous rat problem right now, one of my quail was nothing but bones
hmm.png
Pics are on my page
smile.png

ETA: Right now I have 8 pens of quail. 3 of the cages are 2'x2' and have anywhere from 4-6 quail in them. 2 of my cages are about 16"x24" and each has 3 birds. One cage is 30"x36" and now has 9 jumbo birds. Then there is one that is about 2'x3' that has 2 birds
roll.png
I ran out of 'little' cages, and they were getting picked on
big_smile.png
And another cage, about the same size, has about 30 quail in it
hide.gif
I need to seperate them before spring
gig.gif

ETA again: The last cage is more like 3'x4', but there are still way too many birds in that cage!

Last edited:
Quote:
???????????? LARGE TYPE? SMALL TYPE?

ALSO 2 MALES AND 4 FEMALES WILL DECREASE YOUR FERTILITY, NOT INCREASE--- BECAUSE THE 2 MALES ARE GOING TO BE TOO BUSY TRYING TO KILL EACH OTHER TO BREED THE FEMALES...

Quote:
???????????? LARGE TYPE? SMALL TYPE?

ALSO 2 MALES AND 4 FEMALES WILL DECREASE YOUR FERTILITY, NOT INCREASE--- BECAUSE THE 2 MALES ARE GOING TO BE TOO BUSY TRYING TO KILL EACH OTHER TO BREED THE FEMALES...

Just like in humans....
gig.gif

1 pair, cage size 1' X 1' or 1 Trio, cage size 2'X2' If you ever see your birds pecking at each other, its becuse you have to many birds in the cage. Quail will kill other quail.

Most of mine are in 2'x2' cages, the sides are 1"x1 1/2" welded wire, the bottoms are 1/2"x1" welded wire. I wouldn't recommend the 1"x1 1/2" welded wire unless you are sure nothing can get to them. I thought mine were safe until this morning. We have a montrous rat problem right now, one of my quail was nothing but bones hmm Pics are on my page smile

ETA: Right now I have 8 pens of quail. 3 of the cages are 2'x2' and have anywhere from 4-6 quail in them. 2 of my cages are about 16"x24" and each has 3 birds. One cage is 30"x36" and now has 9 jumbo birds. Then there is one that is about 2'x3' that has 2 birds roll I ran out of 'little' cages, and they were getting picked on big_smile And another cage, about the same size, has about 30 quail in it hide I need to seperate them before spring gig
ETA again: The last cage is more like 3'x4', but there are still way too many birds in that cage!

how females to one male do you have?

i just hatched 3 quail chicks and 11 under a broody and i'm getting an incubator so will buy lots of eggs.

cheers youri.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom