How much ACV to put in water?

newchickmom09

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
ARIZONA
I have been ready that you can put apple cider vinegar in the chickens water to help keep it clean. How much do you all put in your water containers?
idunno.gif

Quote:
The acid in it will take the galvanize off and rot out the waterer. Plastic is the best. Can be used with ACV,meds,vitamins and easily cleans well with bleach to disinfect. good luck Will
p.s. it's amazing the cost for metal waterers and if you use ACV they are a waste. One of the few things where older isn't better.

hmm.png
That is good to know, since we have a metal waterer and a metal feeder that is painted.

What are the health benifits from putting acv in there water?

There are several health benefits. It is a probiotic, for one, which helps them develop good gut flora. It also helps you, because it inhibits algae growth in the waterer. A quick search on here will turn up lots of threads on its benefits.

The reason for not putting it in galvanized waterers is that it leaches zinc (I think it's zinc, anyway) out of the metal to the point that it can be toxic for them.

I have mostly read to use between 1 tsp and one Tbsp per gallon. Truth is, I slosh a little in, probably around 1 tsp.

It needs to be the organic version, by the way. Bragg's is a brand commonly found in grocery stores. The benefits come from the organic version, which has the mother, which is the beneficial organisms.

It's good for people, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can 'make' your own, from the cheap ACVs from the store, I've been doing it for a while now.

Buy a bottle of the 'good stuff', like Braggs and buy a big jug of 'Heinz' or the store brand (the gallon size or larger). Pour out about 1 cup of the 'cheep' stuff and pour in your 1 cup of the 'good' stuff.

I forgot how long you're supposed to let it set for... if you do a search at www.earthclinic.com you'll be able to find more info.

Just a good word for ACV...

Twice when I have had ducks acting "off" (puffed up, not eating, looking overall BLECH) I have added ACV (Braggs) to their water. Both times they were 100% the next day.

Back
Top Bottom