how much are chicken worth?

thepremo1

Songster
9 Years
Feb 17, 2010
mid michigan
im going to get my chickens this week, and my neighbor just told me he would like some chickens and if i could pick up four for him that would be great i told him no problem.
he doesnt have a brooder set up or anything, so i said it wouldnt bother me to raise um till about a month, but what are you going to pay for the chickens. he said hows $3 sound, i said sh** the chicks cost almost $2 a peice, plus i have to take care of em for a month. i was thinking 10, but then thats 40 dollars, and that seems like too much. how about how much would you say their worth at about a month old

It all depends on breed, quality, health and the price the seller wants.
wink.png

That's not too much at all. What's wrong with taking care of chickens? I'm kind of confused - Most people buy them as chicks, infact, lots of us buy them even as eggs to incubate - Then you can see the whole process and get attached at day 1.
smile.png

That price is pretty good, considering I usually pay $6-12 a chick, but I don't really look for average chickens. . . I look for something with quality and particular breeds.

With adult hens and roosters or young pullets and cockerels, the price could be anywhere from $10 on up.

Quote:
how old were they? if thats what you make off just month olds im going to start sell pullets.

their nothing special, just some ISAs or comits

Given you're only paying $2 per chick it's probably safe to assume these are hatchery/feed store chicks -- run of the mill, nothing special -- in which case I think $10 is a bit steep. But more than that I think it really depends on the context of "so i said it wouldnt bother me to raise um till about a month". Were you chatting casually and he mentioned his lack of brooder and you OFFERED? That to me sounds like more of a neighborly favor than a money making endeavor so I wouldn't charge him much more than the cost you have into them if any above that at all. If he asked you to start them for him, that's a different matter. Then he's seeking your expertise and service and you'd be, imo, in the right to take it as a business venture, not just a friendly deed done for a neighbor.

im not really trying to make money, but ive never raised chicks before this is my first time, so i really dont know how much extra it will cost to feed 4more chicks or a month, for how much extra work ill be doing.

Last edited:
Factor in the cost of the electricity for the heat lamp, the pine chips you'll probably buy to keep them on, the feed, probably a 25 lb bag of chick starter and then the cost of the chick it'self, then divide that by two. You have to clean the brooder anyway so I wouldn't really charge extra to actually do the work that comes with growing them up.

I personally don't charge $10 each until they're about 3 months old. However, that's just a couple bucks over the overhead.

4 chicks X $2.00 - $8
1 25# bag of chick starter...$12 here divided by 2 - $6.00
1 bag of pine chips (the big one you get at TSC - $8.00 divided by 2 = $4.00
Electricity to brood under a 250 watt lamp - Priceless!
lol.png
- no seriously maybe $20 divided by 2 - $10

Meh...I'd charge him $30.00 and you might come out making $2.00 for your efforts.

Back
Top Bottom