How much bedding??(Duck Nest)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Because I have one more person wanting to receive our duck eggs to hatch out to help me with hatch rate and fertility, I've been making sure our ducks' nest has plenty of fresh bedding. There's just one problem.. our youngest duck keeps throwing a lot of the pine shavings out of the nest while trying to redo it before laying so when it's our older duck's turn to lay, she ends up having a bit of a dirty egg compared to the younger duck's egg which is cleaner than it.

Since Kaeda(1yr) makes the nest deep.. about a foot deep, I try to put as much bedding as needed so that most of it will still be in there. Duchess(2yr) doesn't do anything to the nest so it sort of stays as Kaeda left it... mostly dirty bedding.
I use a used, cleaned out popcorn bucket that we've gotten from the movie theater(when they still sell their snacks) as a sort of scoop to carry the pine shavings as I'm trying to not overdo my arms.

How much bedding should I make sure to put in her nest?

Because I have one more person wanting to receive our duck eggs to hatch out to help me with hatch rate and fertility, I've been making sure our ducks' nest has plenty of fresh bedding. There's just one problem.. our youngest duck keeps throwing a lot of the pine shavings out of the nest while trying to redo it before laying so when it's our older duck's turn to lay, she ends up having a bit of a dirty egg compared to the younger duck's egg which is cleaner than it.

Since Kaeda(1yr) makes the nest deep.. about a foot deep, I try to put as much bedding as needed so that most of it will still be in there. Duchess(2yr) doesn't do anything to the nest so it sort of stays as Kaeda left it... mostly dirty bedding.
I use a used, cleaned out popcorn bucket that we've gotten from the movie theater(when they still sell their snacks) as a sort of scoop to carry the pine shavings as I'm trying to not overdo my arms.

How much bedding should I make sure to put in her nest?
Personally, I think you should use straw rather than shavings in her nest box, and just fill it up completely with straw. In my experience, straw nests = cleaner eggs.

We use the deep litter method with a combination of straw and shavings in our 4'x8' duckhouse. We start with two bags of shavings and then add straw on top. As the winter progresses, we spot clean 2x/day and add more shavings and straw. We don't have designated nesting boxes, but the girls make nests in the corners, and that is where they lay. They generally seem to prefer the straw for the nests, so we make sure they have plenty, especially as we move into high egg production again in the late winter/spring. A good base of shavings means they don't dig down to the floor when deepening their nests. These two characters (mother Martha and auntie Stella) like to share a nest and the brooding duties ;-)

Back
Top Bottom