1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how much cider vinegar do you add to their water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hawk, Jun 16, 2009.

1. hawk

hawk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    how much vinegar do you add to the chicken's water?

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I think most people just add a capful or two but you cannot use a metal galvanized waterer because the acidity of the vinegar will cause leeching of the metal. Use plastic waterers if you plan on using ACV.

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I use 1/4 cup in 2 gallons and toss in a garlic clove

4. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Interesting. What's the garlic for?

5. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    Oh crap, it never crossed my mind about the metal. Luckily, I only just started using ACV a few days ago!

6. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Garlic is supposed to help keep them from getting wormy. That's what i've read though. I've also heard that a lot of garlic will be tasted in the eggs. Bonus.... I love garlic in my eggies. I have wild garlic in the yard and when i put the cloves in the run they wasn't all that interested but did eat a little.

7. Castaway

Castaway Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    California
    What would be the purpose of adding cider vinegar to water?

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It is supposed to work as a general tonic. It also keeps slime from forming in the water. I used it on a listless duck and it perked her up within a day. I was worried I might lose her and decided to give the ACV a shot. I wish I knew EXACTLY how it worked, but it seemed to work, so I am not complaining.

9. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:The organic ACV has the good bacteria in it which helps their digestive tract. It use is also supposed to be a preventive treatment to most types of worms. threehorses also mentions in her posts that it helps aid in calcium absorption, which I didn't know (which is why I love BYC - thanks Natalie!)

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I don't know how it works either, but I know it does.... I am using it myself. I drink a vinegar cocktail 2 x daily, and it works wonders! I feel so much better. Remember, it has to be vinegar with the mother in it, not the distilled vinegar you buy at the grocery store. The vinegar cocktail, as per Bragg's recipe, is 1 TBSP vinegar and honey (to taste) in water. Drink it cold or hot. It has "zip," or "zing," to it, and I really like it. You must read the Bragg's vinegar book. I learned all about this topic, just from BYC posts, and further research.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by