How much Diatomaceous Earth per 50 lbs. of feed?

Quote:
I have found NO independant studies supporting the use of DE to kill internal parasites. The only studies I have found that support that hypothesis are by those selling it.

x2

The only studies I have found that support that hypothesis are by those selling it.

Most of those aren't really even "studies" but are just anecdotal "reports".​

Quote:
I am a beekeeper. You have to be careful about outside dustbaths, especially in the EARLY spring when bees are pollen hungry building brood. They will check out the DE dust to see if it is pollen and then it's too late and they die. You will often, for the same reason see them around bird feeders and open feed bins. They will gather dust from the seed and from ground corn when desparate.

Quote:
I am a beekeeper. You have to be careful about outside dustbaths, especially in the EARLY spring when bees are pollen hungry building brood. They will check out the DE dust to see if it is pollen and then it's too late and they die. You will often, for the same reason see them around bird feeders and open feed bins. They will gather dust from the seed and from ground corn when desparate.

Thanks much for sharing expert knowledge!
thumbsup.gif

We have been using DE for years mixed in our 4 cats' food, around the home for ants and other insects and it is an amazing product. I am not sure why someone would say..it only kills bugs....that is what it is SUPPOSED to do. This is why food grade DE is used in grain products, silos, etc because it kills larvae and bugs. We also use it to dust on feral and foster kittens to kill fleas...I will not be without DE in my home.

Hi, everyone. I'm a long time reader/lurker on this forum, but I've never joined before because I don't have chickens. I'd like to someday, but it won't be in the near future, so I content myself with learning as much as I can from more experienced people. But I found something that pertains to this discussion that I thought might interest others, so I finally joined.

Anyway, the July issue of the journal Poultry Science published a study on feeding diatomaceous earth to chickens. The study was done by the Avian Research Centre at the University of British Columbia. The bottom line is "The results of this study indicate the DE has the potential to be an effective treatment to help control parasites and improve production of organically raised, free-range layer hens."

For those interested in reading the abstract, it says:
The effectiveness of diatomaceous earth (DE) as a treatment against parasites and to increase feed efficiency and egg production of organically raised free-range layer hens was evaluated in 2 breeds of commercial egg layers [Bovan Brown (BB) and Lowmann Brown (LB)] that differ in their resistance to internal parasitic infections. Half the hens of each breed were fed diets supplemented with DE (2%). Their internal parasite loads were assessed by biweekly fecal egg counts (FEC) and by postmortem examination of the gastrointestinal tract. Supplementing DE in diets of LB hens, the more parasite-resistant breed, did not significantly affect their FEC and adult parasite load. However, BB hens treated with dietary DE had significantly lower Capillaria FEC, slightly lower Eimeria FEC, fewer birds infected with Heterakis, and significantly lower Heterakis worm burden than control BB hens. Both BB and LB hens fed the diet containing DE were significantly heavier, laid more eggs, and consumed more feed than hens fed the control diet, but feed efficiency did not differ between the 2 dietary treatments. Additionally, BB hens consuming the DE diet laid larger eggs containing more albumen and yolk than hens consuming the control diet. In a subsequent experiment, the effectiveness of DE to treat a Northern fowl mite (Ornithonyssus sylviarum) infestation was tested. Relative to controls, both breeds of hens that were dusted with DE had reduced number of mites. The results of this study indicate the DE has the potential to be an effective treatment to help control parasites and improve production of organically raised, free-range layer hens.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21673156[/url

I am not sure why someone would say..it only kills bugs

Because many mistakenly believe it will also treat INTERNAL parasites, and "provide calcium and trace minerals", and cure most anything you can think of , when ALL it's been proven to do is kill insects

For those interested in reading the abstract, it says:

Supplementing DE in diets of LB hens, the more parasite-resistant breed, did not significantly affect their FEC and adult parasite load

That part needed repeating​

Quote:
I love how people see only what they want to see, lets read the next 3 sentences after that, might as well make it bold for effect

Supplementing DE in diets of LB hens, the more parasite-resistant breed, did not significantly affect their FEC and adult parasite load. However, BB hens treated with dietary DE had significantly lower Capillaria FEC, slightly lower Eimeria FEC, fewer birds infected with Heterakis, and significantly lower Heterakis worm burden than control BB hens. Both BB and LB hens fed the diet containing DE were significantly heavier, laid more eggs, and consumed more feed than hens fed the control diet, but feed efficiency did not differ between the 2 dietary treatments.

so it is rather dependent on your breed, if they are already parasite resistant, it is not needed. To say that it is not beneficial to certain breed does not mean it doesn't work. I have never used DE, yet, but i have been reading information about it. I also have a brother and sister in law that are very concerned about the chemicals and additive that go into their food. DE looks like a good solution for those who wish to go the chemical free route and just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean you should take bits and pieces out of context. Other things that i have read about DE is that it probably will not clear up a full blown infestation, but if used continuously before you have a problem, it does avoid it. Add the fact that production increased over the control group and feed efficiency stayed the same (meaning that the # eggs per pound of feed remained the same- which also means they ate more than the control group) and i think most people would love to use it as an additive.

Tell me if i'm reading something wrong here. Basically, unless chickens are some kind of super bird strain that has increased parasite resistance and super high laying capacity, DE would work very well with your flock.​

Back
Top Bottom