How much did you spend building your coop/run?

Tigerjane

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Pflugerville, TX
I'm in the planning stages for my coop and run, and we're now at the point of trying to decide if we should go with something pre-fabricated, or build ourselves. We would like to do the most economical thing, while also having something aesthetically pleasing in the yard. I've heard the costs can get way out of hand when doing the building yourself. We're planning on a 6x6 coop, and a 6x12 run, with the possibility of expanding the 6ft to 8ft. So what did you do, and what was your final cost? Thanks!

My coop is 8x8 (almost done) and the planned run is 20x40, I thought I could get it all done for $1500.00, but it appears $2000.00 is more realistic. Regardless of what it cost, I do wish I was all done.
sad.png

I don't have the final tally but it will be way over 2500.00 but it will house 40 or 50 hens and is a large coop and covered run. I will post pics of it one of these days.

I can tell you it was starting off real cheap for me ($8), but I've ended up spending about $400 so far, which is including the 6X20 run I haven't built yet. I'll bet I spend another $200-300 to finish the coop and run which isn't bad considering how much lumber I've salvaged.

All of my lumber I had salvaged for free, and the trailer I put my coop on was free as well. So far I've paid for roofing, hinges, latches, hardware cloth, vinyl flooring, and other misc. The run I plan on making out of electrical PVC pipe, which is UV resistant and will be half circle shaped. Then covering with hardware cloth.

It seems like the little things add up quick.

My coop is 6X10, and is being built on an old sand rail trailer. It will accomodate 24 chickens by the time I'm done. I want the ability to move the coop around on our 5 acres. Funny thing is, we don't even live there yet. The 1939 farm house that is there is currently being remodeled and will hopefully be done by this late fall or early spring. My wife got too excited and decided to go get a dozen chicks which are currently 7 weeks old now living in a 2X4 box in our garage.

I've been taking pictures and will start my own BYC page when it's finally finished.

It's taken me 3 weekends so far, but I've enjoyed doing it (frustrating at times though ;-) ). I'd say if you're fairly handy and have the time, build it. Although I think buying a built one wouldn't be that much more. Building materials have gone up in price quite a bit, so stuff adds up quick.

Good Luck!

Zak

PS I've never built anything like this before, but I do have general construction knowledge background, which has helped. And my plans were basically from some pictures of other coops with the same design.

Ours is 6 x 8, and we spent around $1200-$1300. If you have the money, do it right (meaning build it to please you) the first time. A few months after the money's been spent, you will be too busy enjoying your chickens to think about the cost.
smile.png

Working on one that is 12 x 12 with and 10 foot roof (to hook on to our exhisting barn).
We have about about 500-600 in lumber at the moment...still have some wire to get.

It will probably end up being around 1k when all is said and done.

I think I am pushing $2000. for just the coop and still need to build the run. The coop is 12x14 with T1-11 siding, R13 insulation and Luan plywood interior walls. It has a metal roof, vinyl on the floor. electricity and has a 2 x 4 & poultry wire divider to separate it into two coops and a storage area. I built it so that if we move or I quit keeping chickens (yeah right) it would make a good shed or "man cave".

Last edited:
My coop/run is 12x8 (12x8 run, 5x4 raised coop inside run, 7'-8' walk in covered run) which is almost done with one last lumber run to finish the roof and I'm over $2000. Lumber is (has been for a while) really expensive now. All new wood except flooring & ceiling of coop where I used some 1" tongue & groove plywood leftover from a remodel. 99% of it was built by myself so I had several $100-$300 trips to Home Depot to get me through each phase of the project.

It's easy to identify some high ticket items in the construction of the coop, but what sneaks up later are the screw/nail (and other sundries) purchase. Avoid buying the small #1 boxes, and go with the #5. I lost count how many times I had to go back and buy another box thinking it was enough.

My final cost for the coop run will probably be less than 2000 after I factor in having to purchase new hardware from scratch (drill, saw, etc). My hope is to cost everything out (I started earlier and got side tracked getting it done) by category to get a better idea of the cost associated in building a new home for my girls.

Back
Top Bottom