How much did your coop cost?

$200-$225. Had the stain, just bought new wheels.

69907_100_3192.jpg

My current coop cost me nothing as one of my husband's customers gave us a stack of framed out 4 x 8 plywood sheets. However, my husband just threw them up helter skelter and nothing is straight and there is some sort of finish on the playwood that keeps peeling off and taking the paint with it. I wouldn't show a picutre of it if you paid me.

However, my new coop will run well over $1000. But we are using a resin shed and that will run about $750 just for the shed. The rest of the money will go for a covered run which will be 8 x 16 and cover the shed as well for extra protection from snow, rain, wind and sun. This is going to probably be my last coop for a very long time, so I feel that it is worth sinking some money into it.

There's two coops in this picture I used mainly recycled wood. The deck is all new wood for safety factor.
63768_finished_coop_001.jpg
I paid around nine hundred for both. There 300 sq ft each.

I think we're somewhere around $900 by the time you add sand and gravel, waterers, the perimeter fence... ect. working on a collection of scrap wood and pallets to build a new hen house so that the shed can all go to the ducks. I think we've invested enough into this since it's only a hobby.
lol.png
It's weird, usually I spend the $900 on the animal and much less on the house. $10 for the animal, and $900 on the house!

P1050374.jpg

The shed itself was only about $250... we looked at premade coops and we looked at wooden sheds... opted for the metal cheapie since we'd be chopping a bunch of holes into it. We insulated it and put a wood paneling up inside. The chicken side is 100% hardware cloth, while the ducks side is a mix of 3 different wiring types, hardware cloth on the bottom 3 ft. We also replaced the doors the shed came with to a swing out wooden barn style type.

Going for free + labor on the next one, so that it balances out to $450 each.
lol.png
I've seen some pretty awesome pallet coops on here!

I've seen the sheds on CL used for $100, all dinged up though and needing dismantled. Worth the work if you have the time and a truck. We don't.

We've got $100 into this monster 3x8 double rabbit hutch...

P1050591.jpg

And about $50 into this 4ft x 18in duckling brooder...

P1050723.jpg

Back
Top Bottom