How much different will a gander be as a pet than a goose?

That is real sad they just dump the goose like that. If I knew those people, I would of love to take that goose in. I am super attached to my duck and never dream of dumping her like that. It saddens me people would just dump their pets like that.

Personally I say a back yard pet female is your best bet for a "pet" Now if pet means you want it to come up to you, to interact with you, to honk everytime it sees you and to follow you around all the time youre out there in the yard with you....then a goose rather than a gander. Also I realized very quickly an imprinted goose on a human is a huge undertaking, they see you as their equal or as mine do, as their mommy/daddy. With that said geese can live 20 yrs or more and once they imprint on you, they may have a harder time imprinting on another human being later on. Also if imprinted on you, then they have no fear of humans, which also leaves them vulnerable to people who dont understand goose behavior. One goose in the back yard is cool but they really are social animals and yes they doooooo pooooo alot but I simply hose it all down mornng and night and it is as much if not more of a commitment than a dog. I recenlty got a 2 day old cotton patch goose to go along with my 2 yr old cotton patch gander. She has been living in the houose in a big plastic storage bin. I hold her pet her she cries out for me if she sees me. I am the daddy. Now I have three little toulouse a few days old and have decided they need to imprint on each other. leaviing them all together a lot now and less of me picking her up and petting and so on. I want them friendly but not completely codependent upon just me. They will live in my back yard; appox 55 feet by 25 feet, and need to all get along. I also have three pekins and three chicken. I have a rule "NO FIGHTING" If there is agressive behavior I donte to a local pettting zoo or find another home. I want a little flock that love me and vise versa but the flock needs to be copacetic also. Good luck to you. Geese are a commitment.

I'm sorry I haven't been online to get these links. Sick, but better now, thanks! I wanted to say when I read over this thread that I appreciate the people who validated the fact that it is hard to have one house goose. And I should proof-read (I do this on Facebook all the time, ugh) my posts before clicking Submit. My husband has a large ranch - having Canada geese, chickens, guineas. We've only been married 7 years so those were the most fun years of my life. Oh it was fun!

It was hard to look up those videos again. For anyone just joining in here, a man & his wife kept a Canada goose for its first year. I was looking up Canada goose pets but most of this man's videos don't have the words goose or geese in the title. I didn't think he was allowing people to post but that is because no one usually posted - I've left 3 today. It makes me feel like throwing up. Well, maybe I kind of felt like that to start with and then the last video Dash's Release. It's so hard to watch!! Don't they get it? Dash goes right up to a woman and her daughter, who back away, of course! Please, please post on these videos. If you are not registered on youtube, you can still look them up and watch them. You can share without registering by clicking share and copying the URL under the video - or just from your browser's entry. When you're done watching one of their videos, please look up above the video (I'm thinking of people who don't usually use youtube) you can see he has 13 I think total videos. You can click on that - where it says 13 videos to see them. Or you can copy and paste the author's name in the youtube search field and it will show all his videos. I can't go back to them again. I hope everyone who reads this will register with youtube (you can cancel your membership when you're done, if you want) and leave a reply - actually I hope all of you who hurt over this goose, will spread this around and get more people to leave replies/responses. He says "release" as if they are a wild life rehab place and have gone through all the steps of teach Dash about other geese, etc.

Dash's last bath link is

Dash's Release link is

The author's login name is soundq2 You can also go to youtube.com and type Dash's last bath or Dash's Release in the youtube search box. So, so sad. I hope to God that they used food coloring on his/her chest and didn't send Dash out wearing a diaper!!
he.gif
I know I'm 2 years late joining this party, but wanted to add the guy soundq2 is selling a "book" he wrote about Dash for $36. Profiting from the pet you abandoned at a park seems rather soulless.

I know I'm 2 years late joining this party, but wanted to add the guy soundq2 is selling a "book" he wrote about Dash for $36. Profiting from the pet you abandoned at a park seems rather soulless.
I agree with you this sickens me.

Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry to say I couldn't even watch all the release video

After just reading these posts I don't want to see any of it.
It makes me sick. I cannot imagine dumping one of my animals, any of them, anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom