1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much do chickens.... Poop??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sloallie10, Jun 28, 2009.

1. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Ok, sooo, i was taking care of my my neighboors chickens this weekend and we went in to their backyard and both of my parents ( we dont have chickens YET) were SUPRIZED how much poop there was! They have two RIR that are laying, and 2 about 10 week old BO's. My neighboors have been gone for about 2-3 maybe 4 days and i told my parents it was just becsausse the were gone for a while... SOOO, do chickens really poop that much? like needing to clean it up maybe everyweek??? I was surprized... and help?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yup! sorry I clean my pens out once a week and they poop like nuts!

3. Cyberous

Cyberous Chillin' With My Peeps

Get a chocolate Lab,.. they clean up poop good! [​IMG]

Seriously it depends on the amount of room and what you consider alot of poop. I had Cornish X (Meat Chickens for 9 weeks, and THAT was alot of poop!)

Also search on Deep Litter Method,.. its really nice way of maintaining poop.

Don

4. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    They poop ALOTTTTTTT !
    Whereever they please, whenever they please ! All they do is eat, sleep, & POOP !

5. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Chicken poop is great for the composter! We get 8' tall tomato plants with more tomatos than we can eat, give away, can, or feed to chickens!

I think my wife wanted chickens more for adding to the compost than for the eggs.

6. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I dont notice , mine don't seem to poop alot per say. I use their poop for my plants. I tell you what my plants have never looked better. I also feed organic so maybe that is why I don't have smell nor to much ? Even with ducks no smell. [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They never stop pooping. They are poop machines. They poop EVERYWHERE anytime, anyplace whenever it suits their fancy.

8. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Indeed, they poop like there's no tomorrow. I have forty free-range chickens and there is poop EVERYWHERE!!!!! It's not so bad, though, most of it is small or dried and not noticeable, but occasionally you put your foot down and hear an unpleasant wet *squish*

[​IMG]

9. anitapreciouspearl

anitapreciouspearl New Egg

Mar 29, 2009
    To continue the pooping conversation... (I think there should be a whole forum about poop [​IMG])

We have 6 - 21 week Red Sexlinks and their outdoor pen has grass in it. In one week it is covered in poop. Uh - what to do???

I bought stable deodorizer and wondered if I could spred some in the outdoor-open to the sky-pen to dry it up somewhat and them rake it out??

The next question is what's the best surface for an outdoor pen? Sand so you can poop and scoop? Should I pull up the sod?

I don't think it smells too bad - I have no sense of smell so I am depending on my kids to tell me. I am worried it will offend the neighbours.

10. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Quote:Do you wait until it's had a season to compost before adding? Curious cause I want to use my deep litter in my garden this fall after harvest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by