1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much do I sell my ducklings for?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kuntrygirl, May 6, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    At what age do you start selling your ducklings? How much do you sell your ducklings? Does the price of your duckling increase as they get older?

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Ducklings can be sold after they hatch & dry out. I wait a coupel days though, to make sure they get a good start. and you can also see if theres any weak ones.

I sell my Muscovy ducklings for $5/ea (im in NW WA), there were a lot for $10 but i decided to reduce my prices to find them good homes. My local feed store also buys them from me for $5/ea.

I would increase the price as they get older because they'll be eating a lot more feed(muscovies anyway!) & they'll be bigger and past the very fragile stage.

3. duckgirl_19

duckgirl_19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    kalamazoo
    i sold mine for 4.95 and i sold every last of them yay! sad they had to leave tho they were adorable

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Mine sell exceedingly well at $5 each. And yes, the price goes up as they get older. By five to six weeks, I ask $8-10, depending on the bird.

So far, the only time I've had ducklings more than a week was when I hadn't decided whether I wanted to keep them. They sell out before they're hatched.

I allow folks to pick up at 24 hours, but I can totally see waiting a bit longer. I ended up giving one duckling away with another purchase because she seemed weak to me, and I didn't want them to be a duck short if she didn't make it. In another 24 hours, I probably could have identified whether she was truly weak or just a slow starter.

As with many things, the best way to figure out your price point is to pick a number and get started. If they sell like hotcakes at that price, try raising it a bit and see what happens. When you hit a price point where you're having trouble moving them out, lower it a bit again and you've hit the sweet spot. For me, I like to have them all sold within a week, because I don't like having multiple batches of various aged ducklings to care for--it's a hassle. So I keep my price at a level where they sell quickly. If I were more concerned about $ and less about hassle, I'd probably raise it a dollar or two and they'd sell eventually, just not as quickly.

Good luck--

5. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I'm selling ducklings for anywhere between $3.50 - $7.00 each (depending on the breed), and I try to just make sure that I have them until they're active and I've seen them all eat, drink, and poop - usually I let them go at 2 days old.

When I bought my day-old Mallards, the price started at $3, and went up $0.25 per day after that (up to $10 or $15 I think, I don't quite remember). [​IMG]

6. nissa_loves_cats

nissa_loves_cats Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm trying to sell mine as soon after hatch as possible to save feed costs. I've only been asking $3 each for my Ancona ducklings since the ones from Cackle Hatchery are something like $3.50. I also compare prices at the local fur and feather swaps to make sure I am in line with what locals can pay.

I know at a local pheasant hatchery near here they have prices based on how old the baby pheasant is--- so much for day-old, so much for 4 weeks, and so on. But they are a pretty big operation and do lots of advertising.

7. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    I just sold a batch of 4 week olds at $7 each, and had no problem sellling them.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm selling ducklings for anywhere between $3.50 - $7.00 each (depending on the breed)

Yup. Purebred Welsh Harlequin females, $7 each. Males and straight run mixed breeds, $5.​

9. Birdladyof50

Birdladyof50 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2014
    Louisville area
    This is some great info. What would you charge for year old pekin's.

10. Icravepoultry

Icravepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    I would sell those for about $15-$30 because they are laying and ready for eating
    Adult chickens are about $25 so you could sell em for a good price

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by