how much do you charge for your eggs?

Yeah, my wife and I went to JJ's place too.... really beautiful out there!

So, that film your son made, does he still have it? Does he have the rights to it? I'd love to digitize it and stick it on BYC!

Quote:
Hi, take a look at what people around you, or the supermarkets are selling eggs for, and take that as a guide - it varies all over the country. If you can cover costs at that price, then I doubt you are feeding them what they need. Are you feeding them purely on scratch, what they find in the garden or household scraps? They should be on layers pellets from 20 weeks of age.

I won't have enough laying hens to sell eating eggs from, but am trying to figure out how much to sell hatching eggs for from my show stock birds. Still thinking. LOL I want them to be reasonable, but not give them away, either. I'd love to be able to buy feed with the money from the eggs, though.

Quote:
I believe he's digitize it already as he made a dvd of it. I'll get a copy and either I can mail it to you or see if he has it loaded on his server and you can download it.

Norm in Vallejo...

Hey Norm, any updates on getting that video for us?
smile.png

BTW, I've been taking all your advice and here's what happened:

We posted in mother's groups and on Craigslist for eggs, $3.00 a dz. A few people were interested, but it's a bit of a hassle to arrange / manage everything.

I then gave away a bunch of eggs at work (6 each to about 6 people) and now have 3 people that want to buy them from me. One co-worker wanted to pay me $5.00 a dz. but I thought that was too high. I'll probably go with $4.00 / dozen.

Well, I brought 30 eggs to work today and sold them for $10 ($4.00 per dz). Well, we've only got 7 layers and that's about a weeks worth of work (or more) for them during this season. My wife called me and said a woman dropped of 40 egg cartons and wants a dz a week. My wife said, "We need more chickens!"

So, I now need 36 eggs a week just for selling and then another 12 for our family to eat... that's 48 eggs a week! My girls are going to have to really start pulling their weight around here! No more casual laying, I need FULL PRODUCTION!
wink.png

I'm debating if I should use the carrot or stick approach with motivating them. "Hey, you'll get some really great treats if you lay every day!" or "See that pot over there? Yeah, you know what happens if you don't lay every day!"
big_smile.png
tongue.png

I was just reading about the eggs.....well..I take mine to a local family run hardware store. They sell my eggs in there for 1.00/doz....and I get either the money, or supplies. Either way, we all win. I also have a couple in town, that bakes for me, since I really do not have the time....I give them 2 doz egs, I get home made breads, cakes, noodles...etc. We like the barter system....money should never pass between the hands of friends.

Thanks
Debbie
Heavens Door Acres

I really like the barter system . That's the way it used to be in the old days. We need to get back to a few of those things that were proven to work for our benefit.

Greetings, first time here! I also live in a rural area. I charge $1 per dozen.
We are surrounded by amish neighbors (great people!) and the competition is everywhere. My hens haven't stopped laying since last October. Great group of girls! I need extra recipes for the use of all my eggs! Made a double recipe of custard just this a.m.

Back
Top Bottom