how much do you charge for your eggs?

Quote:
Sure. Please understand, I am delighted for you. But we have members here who get $8-$10 a dozen. Would your market support that price?

Also, if a producer has 24 laying hens, that is 10-12 dozen a week in sales to find a market for. Finding a market for 40 dozen a week at that price requires some level of local population.

One does the best one can in terms of marketing, given one's local market situation. For many here, there's a glass ceiling on prices and each of us do the best we can do for our local situation. There's no point in me envying those who get $8 a dozen. It ain't gonna happen up here.
Take care out there in the desert.

I charge $4, 2.50 pounds or 3 euro to strangers and $3 2 pound or 2.50 euro to family and friends.

Duck eggs are 50cent each, which is 60p or 70 UScents

It seams a lot more than other people charge, but I sell all my spare eggs and have regular customers

I get $3.00 a doz here in RI. "Organic" and "No Antibiotic" eggs run above $3.50, some as high as $4.25. I sell most of them at work here and a few to friends.

I give a dozen to the neighbors periodically - to keep the peace. To friends, they are $2 a dz and everyone else is $3 a dz though after DH and neighbors, there aren't many left over. Farmers markets here sell them for $5-$6 which blows my mind. Even after having my own home grown eggs, I don't think I could bring myself to pay that. Most people on Craigslist sell for $3. It definitely depends on the area - I'm in a more rural area but if you go in to Phoenix, that is where you will get the $6 Farmers Market eggs. So crazy.

Last edited:
Does one need to have their flock tested yearly before you can sell eating eggs?

Normally how many hens would one need as I'd like to do this but I don't think I have enough hens to pull it off right now (mine are pastured and that seems to be gaining popularity).

Back
Top Bottom