How much do you sell eggs for?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chic-n-farmer, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

When selling eggs, what do you sell them for? I'm back to selling again and with the cost of feed I really don't know how much to ask. I do not expect a profit by any means, just want the girls to pay their way a little. [​IMG]

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    We charge some of our customers $2/doz, other 2 doz for $5, and others $3/dozen. Depends on the market and what they are willing to pay. The ones that pay $2/dozen were buying them previously for $1.75 so we couldn't come in too much higher but are trying to raise the price. Feed is getting expensive!

3. me&thegals

me&thegals Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    $2/dozen, for now. I need to really work out our costs and production over a year, since both change dramatically depending on pasturing/temperature and light.

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I sell my Jumbos for 2.50 a dz and my Mediums for 2.00 a dz.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I have been getting $3, with new customers I'm asking $4. My hope is to have a limited number of regular customers who appreciate the superior quality of fresh eggs, rather than selling at lower prices to lots of cheapskates who don't care about the difference.

It all depends on how desparate you are to get rid of extra eggs & make any extra $$$. Just please do yourself and your hens a favor and don't feel obligated to beat the price of regular eggs in the store. Your girls' eggs are certainly worth more than that.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    There are several previous threads about this very topic... it varies by region. Some people may only be able to get $2.00/dozen, up here $4.00/dozen seems to be the norm. I sell mine for $3.50/dozen, and can't keep any for myself, they go so fast.

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    3 dollars is fair especially since theyre fresh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by