How much do you sell your duck eggs?

kuntrygirl--Keep in mind that you don't have to compete with WalMart. Not everyone out there is looking for the lowest possible price. When I used to buy eggs, I could have gotten them for 72 cents on sale, or $1.19 regular. But I never did--because I don't like the quality of cheap eggs. Instead, I was paying more than $3 a dozen for the organic, free range brown eggs.

The key is to market to a segment that wants quality and cares about the environment and the health of the birds. Your eggs come from free range, humanely handled, local birds. They are fresher, more nutritious, tastier, and more environmentally friendly than any egg available at WalMart, ever.

Of course, some parts of the country--and your area may be one of them--don't *have* a demographic that is able and/or willing to pay more for high quality. But it's worth exploring.
smile.png

I live in rural vermont, and if you don't know somebody, it is practically impossible to find duck eggs. You can special order them through a farm stand for $5 a dozen, but If I were going to sell mine, I'd go for $4. Ducks eat more than chickens, and generally lay less eggs, plus, they're bigger!

Some get for them almost any price they ask.

One sells for 3.00

Another for 5.00

All this stuff about the 'exocticness' of duck eggs is, IMO, a bad fruit of the industrialization of the chicken industry with it's mass produced eggs. Now NO ONE in the industrialized West can even conceive of eating duck eggs--as though they were poison or something, or goose eggs or other fowl eggs.

Thank you Monsanto, etc........................

roll.png

Quote:
Monsanto had nothing to do with it! Cheap people that had no concern for egg quality was the cause. My father was driven out of his egg business years ago when he couldn't compete on price of eggs with the early 'factory' eggs. cheap will usually beat out quality in the US market. Whole Foods is the exception that proves the rule. Do you know that years ago chicken was a luxery meat that was eaten on semi-special occasions like Sunday. "Tastes like chicken" is a modern way of saying it really doesn't have much taste and comes from factory chicken that really don't have much taste when compared to a free range chicken. I could rant all day but enough said....

Quote:
Monsanto had nothing to do with it! Cheap people that had no concern for egg quality was the cause. My father was driven out of his egg business years ago when he couldn't compete on price of eggs with the early 'factory' eggs. cheap will usually beat out quality in the US market. Whole Foods is the exception that proves the rule. Do you know that years ago chicken was a luxery meat that was eaten on semi-special occasions like Sunday. "Tastes like chicken" is a modern way of saying it really doesn't have much taste and comes from factory chicken that really don't have much taste when compared to a free range chicken. I could rant all day but enough said....

Uh, who or what is Monsanto?
hu.gif
idunno.gif

I have someone who wants to buy some of my duck eggs to eat but I do not know what to sell them for. I have only sold chicken eggs. I know that duck eggs are sold for more than what chicken eggs are sold for. Is there anyone sho sells their eggs to people for eating purposes? If so, how much do you sell them for?
I would say $3.00 to $5.00 a doz. It depends on the area you live in. If it is a rural area and a lot of people are selling duck eggs go low. If it is for a non rural area go high.

I have sold mine to friends for the price of $5 a dozen because that puts it right around the Walmart price but sometimes you might find people who raw feed their dogs and they might be interested in duck eggs. This is because many dogs have chicken sensitivity.

Back
Top Bottom