How much does a turkey eat?

newham0614

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
orange,va
I'm thinking about getting a hen but would like to know compared to a chicken how much they eat? Possibly a tom as well. They would be living with a flock of chickens.I was thinking about a royal palm hen and bourbon tom. Would they have pretty babies?
Any info would be great. Thanks

I have three turkeys one tom and two hens and I feed them morning and night. Have you seen those metal feeders for chickens and they have a top with holes.....well I have the top off and fill if morning and night and they about out by each next feeding. They are 1 1/2 now.

If you want them to lay eggs they need to be free feed. One red bourbon tom eats as much as 5 medium weight chickens I would guess. Royal palm hen a little less because she is a small breed. Crossing the two should produce a bronze type with a red tint to the feathers. You might have a few white feathers too. They should be smaller than a bourbon red.

Thanks for all the info. The bourbon red toms get really big. I'm thinking of getting a pair of palms or a midget white tom if i can find one.

My turkeys are about 22 weeks now. 13 birds go through a 50 pound bag every 5 days or so. So they average about 0.8 lb of feed per bird per day. The largest tom is about 25 lb and the smallest hen is about 8, so I'm sure they don't divide the food equally among themselves.

I have 3 female white turkeys and they seem to be starving when I put the feed out. They free range all day and are in an outdoor aviary at night. I give them 3 lbs of feed twice daily. Is this enough?

JodyB

I'm with you ziggywiggy. My hens are like bottomless pits, too.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom