How Much Does it Cost You for Organic Chicken Feed?

Wow thanks so much everyone! I think I am getting hooked to the idea of having my own chickens.
smile.png
Someone mentioned getting my own grains and making a mix...I have access to bulk grains through a co op- would these have to be ground in a mill? I am really wanting to do this, but I am feeling kind of overwhelmed by the feeding part.
smile.png

You'd have to grind whole grains for the babies (I've heard some people use a coffee grinder and grind just enough for the day - the oils in the grains start to oxidize and loose nutritional value as soon as they're cut and exposed to air) and make sure they have access to chick sized grit. As they get older you can soak the grains overnight to soften them and/or sprout them. Full grown hens have no problem with whole grains, and whole grains keep longer as well. There are several websites to help you come up with a good formulation (just search google) - you will need to add fish meal, cooked or baked soybeans, or sunflower seeds to increase the protein. There really is a lot of information out there. The yahoo group OrganicChickens and MyPetChicken.com are great places to start. Go for it!

I buy my organic feed for $25.75 for 50 lb. thru Azure Standard, an online co-op and shipping charges (we have to pay a little extra for shipping to Alaska, although shipping is included in the $25.75 to the Seattle drop off point.) are usually 12.50 per bag. Many of the drop off points in the lower 48 do not have additional shipping charges. We have 20 chickens, including 2 roosters, and we go through a 50 lb. bag in the winter time (no added outside foraging in the snow) with added treats including some higher protein grains in addition, in 2 weeks. We average about 33 dozen eggs per month.

Edited to add: That is 33 dozen eggs in wintertime.

Last edited:
Everyone THANK you so much!!! Your help is SO appreciated.

I am so glad to know all the different options for the feeding. I will check all those resources out.

Back
Top Bottom