How much does NPIP certification cost?

Washington's Dept of AG site on NPIP

$85 / hour when the Feds aren't footing the bill. (No idea if they are or not right now). A small flock and a good set up, total time should be under 2 hours.
Thank you! This is very helpful as is your other post. Your exactly right, it only means they were clean at the time that they were tested. I think I'll pursue it though. Then we can legally selling hatching eggs as well if desired.
Thank you again!

Just to add, NPIP testing only tests for those things I mentioned - it wouldn't have caught the ALV in your birds, it wouldn't catch any of the respiratory diseases, it wouldn't catch Marek's, etc. So having an NPIP flock, or buying from NPIP breeders only, doesn't guarantee that the birds don't have those things. It only guarantees they don't have Pullorum, and maybe AI.
This is what I’ve been trying to explain to people. I’m not NPIP yet, but that cert literally only verifies 2 illnesses, although they can test for more, no one ever identifies in their NPIP posts what they tested positive for 🤣 It’s frustrating that so many people expect npip when in reality, I’ve gotten my sickest mycoplasma birds from npip cert places.
But to ship, you need npip… 🤷🏻‍♀️

Thank you! This is very helpful as is your other post. Your exactly right, it only means they were clean at the time that they were tested. I think I'll pursue it though. Then we can legally selling hatching eggs as well if desired.
Thank you again!
How big is this operation going to be? Doesn't sound worth the expense if you're just starting out. Also as people have pointed out in regards to the effectivness of testing vs nature... are you prepared to put down your entire flock when one of your birds tests positive for AI? Not sure if that's what they do in your state, but so I have heard.

So you test for a small piece of mind that goes away instantly after you have tested otherwise you can only be comfortable with a false sense of security. The only reason to test imho is if you're going to start ramping up business and shipping and selling over state lines.

This is what I’ve been trying to explain to people. I’m not NPIP yet, but that cert literally only verifies 2 illnesses, although they can test for more, no one ever identifies in their NPIP posts what they tested positive for 🤣 It’s frustrating that so many people expect npip when in reality, I’ve gotten my sickest mycoplasma birds from npip cert places.
I only know one breeder that actually test for mg... Wish they all did which i why I do not buy peoples birds. Some are also known to take bands of certain birds and slap them on others and still claim they are tested

The number of illnesses tested for varies by state, but yes, ultimately NPIP certified is not a "Clean Bill of Health", even on the date inspected. Like "organic", "low fat", and a number of other terms of art, the words have very specific definitions which often bear little resemblance to what the great majority may assume.

As Inigo Montoya is known to quip:

https://tenor.com/bpmV1.gif

Has Washington lifted the ban on poultry sales? Enacted May of this year. There are things one can learn using the internet in lieu of social media.

https://www.grainnet.com/article/27...to-end-live-poultry-sales-because-of-bird-flu

Below is your Washington State NPIP program. The fee is $85 per hour for testing, obviously you ensure you have your birds caged and ready to go to limit your annual expense.

https://agr.wa.gov/departments/anim...ional,poultry products throughout the country.

If I were you I'd cull the ALV. Not sure how that was diagnosed but if true then you should seriously think about culling, disinfecting and starting over. That or maintain a closed flock.

As for AI testing some states require it absolutely and many rely on the Federal grants that come available so may skip years or only have enough testing material for part of the year. They are given monies to pay for protective equipment and such and limited number of AI tests. Strict program but is a means for Ag Departments to keep cost down. This is how Vermont does it. When they are using that grant money you can not opt out of the AI test. It's mandatory.

Back
Top Bottom