How much does your coop cost in weeks? Mine is 28

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ScottM, Feb 29, 2012.

1. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm curious what the return on investment cost is for various coops is. Use this formula

Coop Cost / (dozenEggsPerWeek* price) = number of weeks to break even

So my coop cost me about $200 to build. I'm getting three eggs a day so thats 21 eggs a week which is 1.75 dozen. If my local price I have been paying for eggs is $4, then I should break even in . . . 28 weeks (assuming I have free birds that eat nothing ;)

What's your situation?

/Scott

2. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    [​IMG]I don't want to know.

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I use a much simpler math equation than wasting all that time figuring out how many weeks.......... [​IMG] The way I see it, the 1st egg cost me $360, after that, the rest of them were all FREE!!!! [​IMG]

4. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]
    I like simple math.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    With that method, my first egg cost me $1100. At $2 a dozen, it'll take a while before I get a free one. Plus the feed being $15 a 50 lb sack.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Unless you sell eggs or chicks your always paying for your eggs. I use to keep track of all costs (including coop and feeders) and total # of eggs. That laptop fried, but remember my cost was getting down to $5 a dozen last spring. It's nearly spring again and only cost out last year was for hatching eggs, food and bedding so probably down under $3 a dozen

7. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I should have taken a 30 year mortgage on mine, at the current rate of return its gonna take that full 30 break even. I hope. Coop and run, plus waterer,chicks and grower feed into for about $1600 before an egg is even laid. Made my own feeders still cost a couple a bucks. Once they start laying had to buy egg cartons, got a bunch for free but output was beyond what cartons were coming in. Electricity for the homemade water heater I made. So yeah just rolling in cash from the 25 dozen we sell a month. [​IMG]

Not even counting the electricity used to construct the coop either.[​IMG] I should be charging $7 for these little orbs.
    600 weeks I am thinking

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I live on a hundred acres. I lease the land for hay that pays my insurance & taxes. Plus puts a little reserve in the bank. I diversify I sell farm fresh eggs, organic veggies, dewberry's & quail eggs & quail for meat. I kill a deer every year along with some hogs for meat to eat along with my veggies. I'm now starting to raise bees. I expand every year. Am I getting rich nope but I can say it pays my everyday bills.Would I recommend this way to make a living nope. But I'm one busy guy.The farm is third generation so that's a big plus.
    I've pretty much built everything on the farm myself. Almost forgot I sell pecans when available. Its a tough row to hoe but I like it.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Eggs don't even pay for the feed they eat. They'll never pay me back for the coop and fencing.

10. rendezvous1838

rendezvous1838 Chillin' With My Peeps

ixnay on the ostcay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by