How much does your family spend on food?

AngieChick I fully agree......problem has been that the older two don't live here.....just eat here with their SO's and kids
roll.png
and DH doesn't feel that they should have to pay/provide for what we are preparing anyway.
he.gif
he.gif

I married DH at just a tad under 16 (yes I know) he was 30, some say too young and too old.......but today is our 29th wedding anniversary so we have done something right
love.gif

He has always been softer on the kids than I.....they have always had chores and family expectations, he has just gotten soft in his old age....
gig.gif
gig.gif

Financially though there really isn't going to be much choice anymore though, they are going to have to contribute!

Maybe $200-$250/month for two young adults (one male, one female). That's just groceries alone. We eat out about 3 times a week, which would add on another $240.

Last edited:
Very intresting thread to read. Especially since it is dated 2008! It would be really cool if the same posters could tell us what they NOW pay for groceries! As for my house, 3 of us here, DH, me and my 89 year old mom. She eats like a herd of horses and weighs 88 pounds! (shaking head) dunno how she does it.......... AND she wants a full lunch, not last night's leftovers because she already ate that, now she wants something different! BANG!BANG! BANG! (that's my head beating on the brick wall)
lau.gif

I have had a small garden in the front yard for 7 years now that takes a LOT off the grocery bill. Chickens in the back yard for fresh eggs. I spend money on meats, milk, cereal, veggies that I don't grow, and other various items. Total cost is probably $200-$300 a month. It was less before Mom moved in. DH was satisfied with stir fry, Mom wants the traditional meat, 3 vegetables, bread and dessert. Sigh....... (shrugs) that's my momma, whatever she wants, she gets.
thumbsup.gif

Agreed, old thread, but relevant subject.

Family of two, never anyone else at the supper table.

Hardly ever buy red meat or pork other than a couple of packages of bacon and/or sausage and a lb of ground chuck here and there. Mostly we eat the venison that a friend brings us packaged up in stew meat or ground as our "red" meat. We buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts only when they are below $2 per pound.

No prepackaged convenience foods. Spend about $375-400 per month on food for the two of us. We may eat out once a month, if that.

Last edited:
Family of 2. I think I spend close to 80$ a week sometimes more, that is only for food not including household stuff. Our local store fresh cuts meat and offers a 5 for 19.99. We raised our own broilers and turkeys and the pigs go to the market on the 22 nd. I garden and trade snacks for produce with my Amish neighbors.

I too would love to see how the budgets of some of the original posters has changed.
I know with my family in January 2012 my grocery budget was increased. Took many years of me making my case to DH that prices were rising none stop. Previous grocery budget had been $600 a month for our family of 4 & that use to include the dog food, toiletries & such. (I don't remember when we started that budget, but it was 2004 or earlier when we set that amount). DH finally began to see milk was double price it was 6 yrs ago & etc. At the same time he realized our kids are now teens & there is never a stopping point to their hunger! Now we ear mark $700 a month & I don't buy anything except groceries. We cook most from scratch & of course have a large garden & fresh eggs from the farm.

We use the Dave Ramsey system & all of our money stays divided into specific categories, so tracking grocery money is pretty easy. Some months is less some is more but the same amount goes in the envelope every month.

Back
Top Bottom