How much does your family spend on food?

Daycare Mom

Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Conklin, Michigan
People food that is not critter food.
wink.png
I am just curious to hear what everyone else spends.
I have 5 in my own family, plus 5 to 6 extra kids during the week. We spend an average of $350 to $450 every month.
This doesn't include our paper products or any of the other stuff, just food. So let me know what your family spends.

1. How many in your family?

2. How much do you spend?

I would love to save some $ on food, just not sure where else I could cut back.

We are a family of 5 plus I watch my niece and nephew and they eat all their meals/snacks here. I spend b/w 150 and 200 a week on groceries. That includes everything......diapers, hygiene stuff, dog food, etc.

There are three sometimes four of us in my home.
We spend about $80-$100 a week at the grocery, mostly on milk my son lovves milk, we use on average 4 gallons a week and I hate milk
sickbyc.gif
I cook from scrath alot to save some $$, but I have seen all the flour, sugar, cornmeal and other basic scratch items go up too
th.gif

It's me and DH but I put my grandson on the bus. So I feed him breakfast and provide lunches and snacks
I spend about $400 a month.I'm a foodie! I hate regular shopping love grocery shopping.I have to stop.

5 of us here and we spend 400-600 a month and thats with sales and coupons, we do eat good quality meat here so would be cheaper if we would eat chicken thighs, legs, ground turkey, cube steak but just cant so spending is up.

Glad you asked as I have always thought we spend more than everyone else. Right now we are spending about $550-600 a month for 4 people, including all food, paper products, cleaners, and personal care items.

I have a family of four, DH and myself, plus daughter 12 and son nearly 19. We spend $340/month on all food, paper goods, supplies, etc. Some weeks we spend $85 or less, but on stock-up weeks, we might hit $110. It averages out to about $85/week.

We used to spend wayyyy more, but hubby and I jumped on the frugal bandwagon, I made up a pricebook, we shop at Sam's Club now, and sometimes (not often, mainly for baking supplies) at Aldi, in addition to our usual supermarket. I don't buy any processed foods, we make everything from scratch. I've found that to be much healthier, too. We get our fruit in 1/2 bushels, making apples and such about .35/lb. We're all about buying in bulk, lol. It saves so much money. I recommend it highly, so long as you have the space to store stuff.

I can a lot, too, and make all our baked goods, and we have chickens for eggs, obviously.
wink.png

I have a family of 4 now. I spend an average of $500 a month. I make almost everything from scratch. I used to spend about $350 a month but a year ago 3 of us went on a gluten free diet and gluten free flours and other things are so much more expensive.

We spend $200-$300 on food each month....We have a family of three...I've been trying to cut back some, so it's been a little closer to $200. Casseroles are the bomb!!! The easiest casserole is as follows: Chicken, broccoli, cheddar cheese, rice, and 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup!!! Precook the rice and chicken, then mix in broccoli, C o' MS, & cheese, then bake...

I know this is a recipe, but for some reason I thought it appropriate to share in a money saving thread....don't beat me up!!

Last edited:
We are a family of 4 and we spend about 450.00 to 600.00 a month. Some months are better then others depending on how much we go to out to eat. But sometimes when I figure it out we spend just as much on groceries for a week of meals as we would going out to dinner. Let's face it the cost of food in general has gone through the roof.

Back
Top Bottom