How much epsom salt per cup?

One of the great things about hydrocolloid patches is they can get wet and not come off. As long as the edges are all stuck down when it's applied, it should be fine as long as it's not soaked.

Don't try to remove the patch because it will hurt the skin. It will fall off on its own.

The good news for you is no more soaking. However, I don't know how difficult it will be to keep your duck out of the water she wants to be in. If she can go without getting wet for a few weeks, that would be best for bumblefoot in any case. If not, the patches will at least keep dirt & bacteria out until they're soaked.

If possible, keep her foot padded and wrapped under the bootie. If the weather is warm where you are, that is probably a bad idea. Either way, you'll need to watch her closely to be sure she isn't getting overheated wearing them.

Any time you soak the foot and remove the lesion, leave it wrapped and padded for as long as possible.

Last edited:
@TonaLee, your duck house truly is lovely! Lucky ducks!

We were using hay for bedding when our chickens developed bumblefoot. Some of the ends were hard and very sharp. I found them a few times stuck in the bottom of my shoes, one of which I had to remove with a pair of pliers and I am of average weight. In my opinion, stepping on one of those pieces with tender foot pads could cause an injury which might develop into bumblefoot.

I don't see me keeping her isolated and out of water for a few weeks. I am in NE Ohio and at the moment it is very hot here! I am thinking of trying the pads - if they come off -- I will just reapply. In the evening, I will try to get her into the booties for at least a few hours a day - so something might be absorbed. It seems all these months of soaking and scrubbing are just a bother for her and difficult for me, at best!! Some days I think her bumbles look better - some days I am very discouraged. She does not limp, nor does she act like there is anything wrong. Being the largest of my three Jumbo Pekins - she is a bit slower -- but waddles like the other two. She does seem to be shunned by the other two -- don't know if it's because I take her once or twice a day for soaks???? Another question. My vet has suggested I give her Oxytetracycline once a day for two weeks and see if there is any improvement. How do you administer oral medications to your poultry? I am reluctant to pry her beak open - and have resorted to soaking peas in the 1/8 tsp. of the antibiotic and the 1/4 cup of water -- but, she leaves most of the water after the peas have been inhaled~! So nice to have someone to share my concerns with. Oh, and yet another question - Have you used CEH ointment? Some people seem to have good results using it. If so, where do you get it? Finally, I can't thank you enough for your insights and prompt responses.

I don't see me keeping her isolated and out of water for a few weeks. I am in NE Ohio and at the moment it is very hot here! I am thinking of trying the pads - if they come off -- I will just reapply. In the evening, I will try to get her into the booties for at least a few hours a day - so something might be absorbed. It seems all these months of soaking and scrubbing are just a bother for her and difficult for me, at best!! Some days I think her bumbles look better - some days I am very discouraged. She does not limp, nor does she act like there is anything wrong. Being the largest of my three Jumbo Pekins - she is a bit slower -- but waddles like the other two. She does seem to be shunned by the other two -- don't know if it's because I take her once or twice a day for soaks???? Another question. My vet has suggested I give her Oxytetracycline once a day for two weeks and see if there is any improvement. How do you administer oral medications to your poultry? I am reluctant to pry her beak open - and have resorted to soaking peas in the 1/8 tsp. of the antibiotic and the 1/4 cup of water -- but, she leaves most of the water after the peas have been inhaled~! So nice to have someone to share my concerns with. Oh, and yet another question - Have you used CEH ointment? Some people seem to have good results using it. If so, where do you get it? Finally, I can't thank you enough for your insights and prompt responses.

You're welcome. Bumblefoot is frustrating to treat. It took a full 8 months of trying different treatment methods on 5 of our girls with bumblefoot to heal completely. I cried a lot.

Yes, definitely apply the patches and just reapply when they come off. I would hesitate to use the booties overnight. Sitting on them would get hot quickly. If she could wear them in the morning when it's still relatively cool outside, it would help. That way if she gets them wet, they will be dry by morning.

I don't know anything about ducks. Maybe your other two realize there is something going on with her. Once she's not being soaked anymore she probably won't be as agitated when returned home. Hopefully they'll sort everything out and be friends again.

Oxytetracycline isn't effective on staph infections. I wouldn't bother with it. If you need to give her medicine, maybe you could mix it with water and then add it to make watery yogurt. Again, I don't know anything about ducks. I assume they can have yogurt.

I haven't used CEH ointment.

All great advice! I was thinking about using the booties in the morning after I release them from their house. They usually take a quick "dip" in their small pond and then head up to the house where they have yet another stock tank, shelter and fresh greens, mealworms, watermelon, peas, Romaine -- well, how else would I get them to follow me!!? So, when the patches arrive, I will clean her feet and stick them on -- fingers crossed they stick. And, if they come loose - reapply. Certainly is worth a try. You made me smile when you said you cried -- that's where I was two nights ago. So, again thank you for your insights. I will let you know what the results are -- and the Oxytetracycline -- I kind of figured it wasn't going to be effective, but hate to contradict the vet who has been so kind. I took the duck in only once in January - and have had four phone consultations with him since. The next treatment option is DMSO, Meloxicam, and Baytril applied to the bumbles. One of the members of a duck group I am in said she worked with a farm vet who came up with the mixture- and it worked wonders. I mentioned it to my vet and he is open to try it........ again, fingers crossed that the patches make a difference.

Thank you -- For several years I hatched chickens and ducks in my classroom. A novel we read was about a girl who hatched for a science project -- so, we incubated and hatched as we read the novel. It was a wonderful experience, but I always gave the ducklings and chicks to the high school science teacher - who has a farm. This past year was my last year of teaching and I decided to build a "Duckingham Palace" and keep three of the thirty-six we hatched at school. I probably am not telling you something you did not know, but they are a lot of work!!! This past winter was a challenge. I have electricity, but no water. So, carrying water in buckets daily was truly a pain! But, their house is great - an enclosed "house" with radiant heaters and a fan - an outside elevated area with a stock tank, a downstairs area and then the fenced in area with another stock tank. They have a small pond with a waterfall that I am emptying and cleaning every three weeks. I am sure you know how difficult it is to keep a filter clean with ducks! With all that -- they still want to be up with us at the "big" house! Now for the bumbles. I so want to avoid cutting. Keeping her dry and away from the other two would be quite difficult - and when I took her to the vet, I really thought she was going to have a heart attack -- me as well! So, again thanks for the compliment and I will keep you all posted on her ongoing saga. BYC forum is such a wonderful resource with absolutely terrific people!

Back
Top Bottom