How much feed do they need?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KensingtonHens, Dec 5, 2010.

1. KensingtonHens

KensingtonHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    We have two hens. One 10 months and one about 3 months old, how much should we be feeding them? When I went out this morning their food dish was empty and they acted starving! Four hours later there is still some feed out there but just the "dust" of breakfast. So how much is enough?

Thanks

Dee

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    In the winter I would give them as much as they will eat.

3. KensingtonHens

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Thanks! We live in San Diego so they won't be too chilled but I will start a schedule of breakfast lunch and dinner...

4. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Don't go to all of the trouble of breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just put a ton of food out and let them work their way through it. I use a 10 gallon feeder for four hens, and it takes them over a week to finish all the food. Whenever it starts to get low, I just top the feeder off. That way they're never left without food. (same thing for water)

Chickens aren't like dogs - they won't eat too much and get sick. They'll eat what they need and leave the rest, which is why free feeding (ie - food ALWAYS available) is a good idea.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Rather than try to remember to take food out on a regular basis, you might want to make yourself a "gravity" feeder (see my BYC page). Mine cost next to nothing as I got the bucket from the deli counter of my local grocery store for free, and got the base from the thrift store (it was a vegie tray). I screwed the base to the bucket and voila. The bucket holds 3 gallons so I only have to fill it up about once a week for my small flock. The feed dispenses out into the tray as it empties. You can also buy gravity feeders but they'll cost you a lot more and the concept is the same.

6. LALASD4

LALASD4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Since you only have 2, they don't eat too much, just fill up a feeder with feeds that will last them a few day. Not too much so it won't go bad. If you want to keep the rats away then pickup the feeder at night.

7. KensingtonHens

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Quote:Thank you! I'll get them set up soon. I'm using a small store bought feeder so it's limited in quantity. I like going out to see them a lot so I don't mind for now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by