How much feed do you buy at a time?

I used to buy just 100 lbs at a time, but the closest retailer of the Kalmbach feed I use used to run out for a week or so at a time, forcing me to have to switch back to Purina until they restocked, which isn’t good for the birds. So now, I will buy between 200-250 lbs and keep a check on the availability of the feed at the store so I can buy more before I run out, usually at about 100 lbs. I’m just paranoid now of running out.

I keep the bags of feed, unopened, inside my house and fill two TSC buckets with one bag (each holds 25 lbs) and keep those buckets up at my coops. I have 38 chickens and 5 ducks.
FYI, I also use Kalmbach and order it via chewy.com. It gets delivered and I don't worry about running out.

It literally says "best before" and gives a date. I wouldn't throw out a bag of flour or cornmeal because its a year old. I dont see why properly stored feed is different. I store my feed in my house. Most people seem to store it outside unheated, in the humidity ect. In that case maybe it will spoil in 6 months but i have never had an issue.

I literally have never seen a best by date on any feed. I am a date checker so definitely would have seen it on the feeds here.
What brand are you feeding? Curiosity has me wondering.

I am glad you have not had any issues.
I have however seen threads with birds not growing properly and finding out their bag of feed is over a year old.

Last edited:
FYI, I also use Kalmbach and order it via chewy.com. It gets delivered and I don't worry about running out.
Chewy sure is convenient, but yikes! I have never seen or heard of Kalmbach, maybe it is a regional thing? Or is that the Chewy brand? I suppose you are paying shipping with them one way or another. The batch I just picked up of Nutrina Country Feeds Flock Raiser was 15.25/50 lb bag. Their flock maintainer is 25.64 if you auto ship, 6 bags at a time that is over 60 bucks difference or almost 4 more bags of feed. Tough math there fir a little convenience.

I want to recommend the Vittles Vaults. I usually buy and store two 50lb bags at a time in 2 large (50lb size) vittles vaults.
I tried metal trash cans but our humidity here is high and the ants here are holy terrors. I store my feed under a two sided carport by the chicken yard.
I have 2 large (50lb) for feed, one medium (30lb) for overflow, and 2 smaller ones (15lb) for mealworms, calcium, etc.
They are a little expensive but they keep the feed fresher and I haven't had any pest problems so I feel like they were one of my better investments.
I'm scared to death of rats so they've probably saved me from a heart attack as well.
Screenshot_20210121-063459_Chrome.jpg

Chewy sure is convenient, but yikes! I have never seen or heard of Kalmbach, maybe it is a regional thing? Or is that the Chewy brand? I suppose you are paying shipping with them one way or another. The batch I just picked up of Nutrina Country Feeds Flock Raiser was 15.25/50 lb bag. Their flock maintainer is 25.64 if you auto ship, 6 bags at a time that is over 60 bucks difference or almost 4 more bags of feed. Tough math there fir a little convenience.
Kalmbach is a national brand and, yes, I am paying a bit more for convenience. I only have five hens. And with the pandemic, I'm minimizing my in-person shopping.

I cannot afford the Chewy price, even at the auto ship price.
9EB2123D-5576-4BB3-A539-88DBF9669E6D.jpeg

The cost has gone up just a bit since I started buying it, but I now pay $16.99 for a 50# bag. The Purina Flock Raiser I used prior was and still is $18.99/50# bag.

Last edited:
I think Kalmbach is nationwide. I first found out about it when the store I was purchasing my Purina Flock Raiser discontinued it and started selling Kalmbach. They gave me a pamphlet on the brand and I read it and did some research, namely was it an appropriate feed for my ducks which I had just gotten. I called the manufacturer and actually spoke to one of their nutritionists. Now, he could have just been blowing smoke up my butt and I’d never have known the difference, but after talking to him I felt the feed contained enough niacin for my ducks (even though I still give them some Vitamin B Complex from time to time.) It also has a wonderful smell.

Cute quick story. My grandson was hugging one of my chickens and kissed her somewhere around her head. He said, “Mimi, she smells like dressing.” I was puzzled. He doesn’t eat salads so salad dressing? No! It wasn’t Thanksgiving so he hadn’t just eaten some of my dressing (stuffing), but that’s what he was talking about. Sure enough, the feed does have a wonderful spicy smell. Not spicy-hot, but spicy as in sage and other aromatic spices. It really smells that good! I have been very pleased with the Kalmbach and my birds like it as well!

A few links about shelf life of chicken feed.

https://www.nutrenaworld.com/poultry-feed-faqs

https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/feed-health/how-to-avoid-chicken-feed-storage-mistakes/

This thread has a Purina representative responding and contains important information about HOW feed is stored and the shelf life.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-the-shelf-life-of-purina-products.936605/
The thread where Dr Mikelle Roeder explained shelf life was very informative. Thanks for posting that. I had never run across that thread.

I want to recommend the Vittles Vaults. I usually buy and store two 50lb bags at a time in 2 large (50lb size) vittles vaults.
I tried metal trash cans but our humidity here is high and the ants here are holy terrors. I store my feed under a two sided carport by the chicken yard.
I have 2 large (50lb) for feed, one medium (30lb) for overflow, and 2 smaller ones (15lb) for mealworms, calcium, etc.
They are a little expensive but they keep the feed fresher and I haven't had any pest problems so I feel like they were one of my better investments.
I'm scared to death of rats so they've probably saved me from a heart attack as well.
View attachment 2497481
Ahhhhhh, finally someone who deals with my very problem! ANTS!!!!! I HATE them and they are my nemesis! And more specifically, FIRE ANTS! Everyone talks about PESTS, but no one ever lists ants as one of them.

I have a brand new, large Grandpas Feeder (the expensive treadle feeder) sitting in its box. It took all of FIVE minutes for the 🤬 ants to find the feed. All my chicken feeders are hanging, just because of the ants. Of course they gather on the ground under the feeders, but I dust underneath them once a week with Garden and Poultry Dust which kills the ants in minutes...and keeps working.

Now to the containers you mentioned. I have never seen nor heard of them. They look like very sturdy, hard plastic. Ants can chew through most anything, but these look like it’d be dang near impossible for them to chew through. And the plastic looks opaque which would keep light out. Awesome! Thanks for posting about these little storage solutions.

Back
Top Bottom