How much feed for 12 layers?

Kelly Faulconer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Post Oak , Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hello!

I have 12 Red Star layers. My husband and I sometimes notice when we feed the hens in the morning and evening that they seem like they are starving. I am worried that maybe we are not feeding them enough. How many cups per hen?

Also, do people keep food in the pens at night? or do you take it away at night?

Thanks,

Kelly and Jay

Some people feed ad lib. I have always fed adult birds as much as they will clean up in two seperate feedings - AM and PM. I never leave feed with adult birds overnight.

I would like to see what everyone has to say on this topic so I'm gonna tag along.

When I had chickens in the past I made a auto feeder and just filled it up and never let it go empty. I just purchased 12 more chicks and was planning on doing the same thing.

Thanks

I think maybe it depends on the individual chicken... I have one flock of 12 layers (mostly RedStars, also RIR, Australorp and Black Stars) that act like they're ALWAYS starved. Kind of like my dog, who would continue to eat (human food, not dog food) until his stomach burst I'm sure. They get 6 heaping cups of crumbles per day (which works out to just about 1/4 pound each) every morning. I also feed them various treats (greens, yogurt, leftovers, etc) most every day. They RUN when they see me coming because they are hopeful of getting something, anything, to eat. I don't care what I've fed them or when, they are ALWAYS ready for more! I worm them regularly too, so no worm problems.

My other flock (young Black Copper Marans and Welsummers) are just the opposite. They don't seem to eat alot in the way of crumbles, although they are growing just fine (I keep their crumbles food dish full all the time). They aren't too enamoured of treats, either.

I think maybe it depends on the individual chicken... I have one flock of 12 layers (mostly RedStars, also RIR, Australorp and Black Stars) that act like they're ALWAYS starved. Kind of like my dog, who would continue to eat (human food, not dog food) until his stomach burst I'm sure. They get 6 heaping cups of crumbles per day (which works out to just about 1/4 pound each) every morning. I also feed them various treats (greens, yogurt, leftovers, etc) most every day. They RUN when they see me coming because they are hopeful of getting something, anything, to eat. I don't care what I've fed them or when, they are ALWAYS ready for more! I worm them regularly too, so no worm problems.

My other flock (young Black Copper Marans and Welsummers) are just the opposite. They don't seem to eat alot in the way of crumbles, although they are growing just fine (I keep their crumbles food dish full all the time). They aren't too enamoured of treats, either.

Worm them??? I am new : )

When you talk in feed amounts its usually in pounds. Everyone uses a different size feed scoop. When you go for feed you can easily workout how long a bag will last you flock. As Sourland said if you ration feed you adjust it till they have cleaned it up. ChickCihickChicky said 1/4 lb. is about what a hen will eat a day some will eat more. If you give extras they will eat less of their feed, so adjustments are necessary. I don't ration or portion feed so I leave the feed in with them. The main reason to take up feed is, the other critters that will eat the feed, mice and rats mainly.

Yes, chickens are susceptible to several types of worms, just as dogs, cats, and most other animals are. It is advisable to try to find a vet who can do a fecal exam on your chickens (no need to bring the chickens in, just scrape a pile or two of poo into a pill bottle or other container and bring it in). My vet charged $13 for this service, but your pricing may vary. As I said, there are many different types of worms that afflict chickens and some are more serious than others. In my case, they had both cecal worms (not any problem at all) and capillaria worms (which can be fatal). If your chickens have worms, you are feeding what can be a good portion of your feed to the worms, not the chickens, which is just throwing money away. BTW, the drug Wazine that is sold most everywhere that sells chicken supplies and that many believe is an all-purpose wormer actually treats ONLY roundworms. If you know what type of worms your chickens are infested with you can choose the proper wormer.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/202800.htm

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm

Yes, chickens are susceptible to several types of worms, just as dogs, cats, and most other animals are. It is advisable to try to find a vet who can do a fecal exam on your chickens (no need to bring the chickens in, just scrape a pile or two of poo into a pill bottle or other container and bring it in). My vet charged $13 for this service, but your pricing may vary. As I said, there are many different types of worms that afflict chickens and some are more serious than others. In my case, they had both cecal worms (not any problem at all) and capillaria worms (which can be fatal). If your chickens have worms, you are feeding what can be a good portion of your feed to the worms, not the chickens, which is just throwing money away. BTW, the drug Wazine that is sold most everywhere that sells chicken supplies and that many believe is an all-purpose wormer actually treats ONLY roundworms. If you know what type of worms your chickens are infested with you can choose the proper wormer.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/202800.htm

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm

wow thanks! Do you start testing once they get bigger or even as chicks?

Back
Top Bottom