How much feed for Cornish Pigs?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by FarmerGirl, Jun 22, 2007.

1. FarmerGirl

FarmerGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2007
    Does anyone have a rough idea of how much feed it would take to raise a cornish cross to about 6-8 weeks? I just bought 100 of these guys and need to drive very far to buy my feed, so I don't want to make lots of trips. TIA [​IMG]

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    They will have a feed conversion ratio of about 1.8 (to 2.5) to 1. Calculate the amount of weight you want to put on them to slaughter multiply by 2.0 (good average) and multiply by the number you have.

Ex. Slaughter weight 5 lb - Start weight 0 lb. = 5 lb gain
    5 lb. x 2.0 FCR = 10 lb feed x 100 birds = 1000 lb.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  3. pueawjapygrta

pueawjapygrta Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2007
    i used 12 bags of feed on 21 cornish cross, have no idea of weight, but they were of varying size.

4. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    I used 4 bags (200 lbs) on 14... 1/2 were in the 5 lb range, second half gets it when food runs out(next couple of days... i may have some 6+ pounders now...

1 bag was meatbird starter... 3 bags of meatbird grower/finisher...

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I use one 50 lb bag for each 4 cornish.(I raise them in groups of four) I butcher at 8 weeks and they are about 8 lbs alive and 6 lbs butchered. I can usually raise 2 layers for 8 weeks with the same batch of cornish so they probably eat just under 50 lbs each 4.... so for 100 meat birds... I calculate 1250 lbs of feed if you butcher at 8 weeks. I would anticipate some left over with that though since you will loose a few birds and I am overestimating a bit.

Go with the half ton Mayberry Saint calculated to start off with.

6. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I have never heard of Cornish pigs. I googled Cornish pigs and was reading about a place about them. I would appreciate any info anyone here can tell me about them. The article I googled had them sound very good pigs to raise. Freebie's husband is very interested in this breed.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I think the reference to Cornish Pigs was about how the Cornish x chickens are pigs in that they eat like pigs.

8. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Quote:Whether intentional or not....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. FarmerGirl

FarmerGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2007
    I was just teasing about calling them cornish pigs.. they're just cornish crosses but like someone else said, I called them pigs cuz they eat like no tomorrow. [​IMG]

10. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Quote:I tell my animals that they aren't (what ever animal they are) but PIGS!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by