How much feed for Cornish Pigs?

FarmerGirl

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 12, 2007
Does anyone have a rough idea of how much feed it would take to raise a cornish cross to about 6-8 weeks? I just bought 100 of these guys and need to drive very far to buy my feed, so I don't want to make lots of trips. TIA
smile.png

They will have a feed conversion ratio of about 1.8 (to 2.5) to 1. Calculate the amount of weight you want to put on them to slaughter multiply by 2.0 (good average) and multiply by the number you have.

Ex. Slaughter weight 5 lb - Start weight 0 lb. = 5 lb gain
5 lb. x 2.0 FCR = 10 lb feed x 100 birds = 1000 lb.

Last edited:
I used 4 bags (200 lbs) on 14... 1/2 were in the 5 lb range, second half gets it when food runs out(next couple of days... i may have some 6+ pounders now...

1 bag was meatbird starter... 3 bags of meatbird grower/finisher...

I use one 50 lb bag for each 4 cornish.(I raise them in groups of four) I butcher at 8 weeks and they are about 8 lbs alive and 6 lbs butchered. I can usually raise 2 layers for 8 weeks with the same batch of cornish so they probably eat just under 50 lbs each 4.... so for 100 meat birds... I calculate 1250 lbs of feed if you butcher at 8 weeks. I would anticipate some left over with that though since you will loose a few birds and I am overestimating a bit.

Go with the half ton Mayberry Saint calculated to start off with.

I have never heard of Cornish pigs. I googled Cornish pigs and was reading about a place about them. I would appreciate any info anyone here can tell me about them. The article I googled had them sound very good pigs to raise. Freebie's husband is very interested in this breed.

I was just teasing about calling them cornish pigs.. they're just cornish crosses but like someone else said, I called them pigs cuz they eat like no tomorrow.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom