How much feed from hatch to 8 wks??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jasonsquail, Dec 31, 2011.

1. jasonsquail

jasonsquail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Portage, Pa
    Does anyone know approx how much feed a coturnix quail will eat in the first 7 to 8 wks??

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
  3. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Quote:I would of thought as many eggs as you sell you could tell us

4. jasonsquail

jasonsquail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Portage, Pa
    Thanks Mibotsu. Ted, I would think by spring you will be out selling me [​IMG] , let me know if you need anything and good luck.

5. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Thanks but I won't be needing anything

6. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I wouldn't think anyone could answer this question.I used the feeders that the birds can't get into (the trays with the cut outs for just their head to get into)and scratch the feed out,but they still do.I cleaned my pens weekly and I think I threw out more feed then they ate.I always have feed available,never letting the tray be empty.
    I have a question on the 1.6 oz per bird.First of all 1.6 oz per week is a very small amount of feed for a week.Was the 1 bird fed by himself?Or with a colony?In my opionion,a single bird in the pen will not eat as much as a bird from a colony.Does this amount of feed all he has to eat?Or is it fed treats as well?
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:no idea, i didn't read thru the whole post, thats just what one person said

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I fed my group of 15 approx. 3 lbs. in 2 days. These were adults.

9. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I have to agree with Tony.

I have two cages with the same amount of birds (hens and roos) in each cage. Exact same feeders, waterers, locations etc. One cage wastes twice as much feed as the other cage. My 25 birds can go through a 50 lb bag of feed in about 2 weeks. Most of it wasted.

10. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah you really have to do one of two things, you have to feed them a little bit a few times a day or you have to buy or build a feeder that cuts down on waste. I feed my chickens with a 5 gallon feeder and they eat quite a bit and rarely waste any food but a cage with 4 quail will waste an entire feeder full of food in a day lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by