How much feed to buy?

Kruchti

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Wasilla Alaska
i have eggs in the incubator and hoping for some to hatch. There are NO feed stores by me so I have to order in feed. How many pounds are needed per chick? I’m thinking of getting medicated feed.
Can someone help me figure it out. Thanks in advance.

I've never advocated for mixing one's own feed but in your situation you will probably come out ahead. Cost out human grade feed ingredients over air freight on a formulated mix. Buy a vitamin and mineral mix formulated for chickens. It should come with some recommended recipes for various poultry groups.
Chickens love , love, love fish heads, guts, skin and bones. Excellent and free protein and calcium. Do you normally burn the kitchen waste? Feed it to the chickens. Free and solves that problem.
Might not create an ideal balanced diet but faced with upwards of $100 per 50# you have to pick your battles.

Look up manufacturers of organic/non gmo feeds. Some of them ship. I think Modesto Milling is one. What do other people there do for feed. Ask around. Likely you aren't the only one with chickens. Perhaps you can go in together on a shipment. In a town that size it is likely common knowledge who has chickens.
How many eggs are in the incubator?

Try to get the supplier to only send fresh feed; old stuff (check mill dates!) may be deficient in some vitamins, or rancid, or generally unfit. I can see where ordering in is your best choice, but it's hard.
Mary
I should feel quite contented then, I can walk to my feed store. Sometimes, I even walk a chicken with me. Yes on a leash. I get such funny looks.

For reference, a 10 lb bag of medicated feed fed my three chicks for a little over 4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom