How much feed to order/buy?

Naniki

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 10, 2008
I am special ordering organic chic starter feed. Approximately how much feed should I order for 25 chics to get them to the layer stage?

welcome-byc.gif

I don't know how to precisely answer that question but I can give you a couple of links that may help.

The first link is to an article in the Learning Center, it explains about the differences in feed, how to feed, etc. The second link is to the Feeding & Watering forum and someone there may be able to help you determine exactly how much feed to order for 25 chicks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/feeding-chickens-an-introductory-guide
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-watering-your-flock

Good luck to you and thanks for joining us!

I'm no good at math, so I have to pass on this one. But, it would depend on how old they are now, how long till they approach point of lay. They will not all begin laying at the same time. I believe you could continue to use it till it runs out, on laying hens as long as you provide crushed oyster shell in a separate container. They will eat it free choice if they need more calcium.

Thank you all for your fast replies. Looking forward to visiting this site often.
smile.png

Probably about 500lbs to get them from day one to about 20ish weeks of age...

You don't want to switch them over to layer until they are all actually laying, until then you can continue to feed them starter even after they start laying as long as you offer them a side of oyster shells for calcium...

If you need to order it in, I would consider ordering somewhere around 750 pounds to be safe, as the price between starter a layer should not be that much and as I said you can continue feeding it to them until it's gone so no waste and no reorder...

Or you might want to inquire about how much a full pallet cost (about 40-50 bags or 2000-2500 pounds) as the full pallet (ton) price break might make it worth feeding the starter for longer if you are considering a bulk purchase... **This assumes you have a place to properly store it so it doesn't go bad, get infested or mold...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom