How much feed to order/buy?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Naniki, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Naniki

Naniki Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2008
    I am special ordering organic chic starter feed. Approximately how much feed should I order for 25 chics to get them to the layer stage?

2. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I don't know how to precisely answer that question but I can give you a couple of links that may help.

The first link is to an article in the Learning Center, it explains about the differences in feed, how to feed, etc. The second link is to the Feeding & Watering forum and someone there may be able to help you determine exactly how much feed to order for 25 chicks.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/feeding-chickens-an-introductory-guide
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-watering-your-flock

Good luck to you and thanks for joining us!

3. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm no good at math, so I have to pass on this one. But, it would depend on how old they are now, how long till they approach point of lay. They will not all begin laying at the same time. I believe you could continue to use it till it runs out, on laying hens as long as you provide crushed oyster shell in a separate container. They will eat it free choice if they need more calcium.

5. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 9 chicks. I ordered a 40 pound bag. They are 3 weeks old and I am half way through that bag! [​IMG] I never would've guessed they eat as much as they do!

6. Naniki

Naniki Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2008
    Thank you all for your fast replies. Looking forward to visiting this site often. [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. steven29128

steven29128 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    South Carolina USA
    Welcome to Back Yard Chickens ! [​IMG]

9. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

10. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably about 500lbs to get them from day one to about 20ish weeks of age...

You don't want to switch them over to layer until they are all actually laying, until then you can continue to feed them starter even after they start laying as long as you offer them a side of oyster shells for calcium...

If you need to order it in, I would consider ordering somewhere around 750 pounds to be safe, as the price between starter a layer should not be that much and as I said you can continue feeding it to them until it's gone so no waste and no reorder...

Or you might want to inquire about how much a full pallet cost (about 40-50 bags or 2000-2500 pounds) as the full pallet (ton) price break might make it worth feeding the starter for longer if you are considering a bulk purchase... **This assumes you have a place to properly store it so it doesn't go bad, get infested or mold...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by