How much food?

The Red Rooster

Poultry Observer
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Rapid City, South Dakota
I'm getting a sweetgrass turkey tomorrow, but we may have to leave for a week. I need to know how much one tom would eat. would two bags of feed be enough for one turkey and 24 chickens for a week? Hubby seems to think so, but I'm not so sure.

I know one bag of food is enough for 24 chickens for a week, but not sure if I add a turkey into the flock

Last edited:
I have 4 turkeys BBB's 7 weeks old. They are already big and they are pigs. I have 11 7 week old RIR's and 13 big chickens. I have 2 bags of feed they have been working on for a week and a half. They are about half way through it. They do free range all day. If they were penned all day they would have been working on the 3rd bag by now.
I'd have 3 bags handy and hire a neighbor kid to water and feed them every day.

I have 4 turkeys BBB's 7 weeks old. They are already big and they are pigs. I have 11 7 week old RIR's and 13 big chickens. I have 2 bags of feed they have been working on for a week and a half. They are about half way through it. They do free range all day. If they were penned all day they would have been working on the 3rd bag by now.
I'd have 3 bags handy and hire a neighbor kid to water and feed them every day.
We do have some neighbors that we'll ask to check on our animals when we're gone. It sounds like they'll be fine on three 50 pound bags of feed for a week. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom