How much $$ for a gelding?

SHELLY

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Southwest Missouri
My husband wants a horse. I have found a local guy with a 14 year old Appaloosa gelding that used to be a trail riding horse. The lady who owned him previously hadn't riden him in a long time. This guy is going to clip his toes, ride him and get him used to the bit and halter again and sell him. He said he needed to loose 50 pounds but he seemed real gentle. I went to have a look Saturday and really liked him. I'm thinking of hubby's Christmas present. He is real nice, not skiddish.

I have heard the horse market is down. So what's a fair price?

I am no expert.......depends totally on the horse....what he can do.what training he has....a trail horse...gentle.broke,and older here near me is going for between 400 and 600 ......the market is a buyers market right now that is for sure. He sounds like a horse I would be will to pay 500 for though.......have you ridden him or watched as he was handled?
I am sure there are more in the forum that know alot more than me.......good luck, such a nice present for your hubby
big_smile.png

Oh, by the way, I'm going to ride him this Saturday. The guy that has him wanted to clean him up and work with him a little first so he could tell me if there was anything wrong with him. He seems really sincere and said he wouldn't let me buy him if he wasn't going to be gentle enough for me.

I'm really excited now!

Are you new to horse ownership?

If so I suggest seeing if this guy would be willing to be a mentor for you. Or find someplace that would give you some lessons and pointers.

Oh and is the appy registered?
smile.png

The price sounds good to me considering the market right now, even if he is registered. Unless he was a high end show horse with a proven record. Some of the high end show horses are still going for higher sums.

I have never owned a horse. I was raised on a farm with all kinds of other livestock (cows, pigs, poultry). I have ridden a few times but thats about it. This person who will sell the horse is one of my customers (I am a banker when I'm not a farmer) and is available for any help I might need, thank goodness. I have been researching diet, housing and that stuff. We have a barn with access to a corral and hay in storage for the winter. We have 60 acres cross fenced for pasture rotation. And, we have two sons that would love him as much as I already do after one meeting.

If you have experience with horses I would also check his feet to see if he will let you pick them up. Tap your fingers on the bottom of his foot if he will and see if he stand still. This will give you an idea how he will be for a farrier. Ask to see him trailered. If he wont trailer up easily then you will have some work to do. Find out what type of feed he is giving him. Ask if he has been wormed and if any shots have been given. See if he has had anything for west nile or rabies. It is not nescassary but good to know for booster shots in the future. If you have a vet that would be willing to do a quick check you might want to see about that to. You might want to see also what he would charge to work with him for 30 days or so. Even at 14, a horse that hasnt been ridden for a while could be quite a handful. You could have another 10 years out of him. One other thing to think of is what type of sales man is this person selling the horse. Does he seem sincere to you or just wanting to make a quick buck. You really cant tell a horses age much past 12 so this horse could be much older and you would not know it. 450 is reasonable if the horse is good and sound and has a nice temperment. Make sure you pick wisely expecially if your hubby has no experience. Jenn

Back
Top Bottom