How much for BALUT ???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ParadisePoultry, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ParadisePoultry

ParadisePoultry Hey, I'm WALKIN' here !

Oct 19, 2009
    Paradise (Braham), Mn
    Well, I have decided to offer Balut for sale. I only have chicken balut for now, but am going to be getting ducks if it starts to sell well. My question is : How much to charge? No idea. Have dome searches on here, on google, on Bing, nada, nothing, zero. Anybody???

Mods, please feel free to move this to the appropriate heading if this is not where it should be.
    bj

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I don't sell it but I do remember reading that several on here do. Maybe one of these will chime in later and help. If I can remember who I'll PM them with a link to this thread.
    I do know most cultures seem to prefer duck though.

3. ParadisePoultry

Oct 19, 2009
    Paradise (Braham), Mn
    Thanks MFB,

Like I said, I did search the threads here and could find nothing about price. Maybe I will go back and PM some of the peeps who are selling it....Good idea

4. ParadisePoultry

Oct 19, 2009
    Paradise (Braham), Mn
    Nevermind, I found it. Metzer farms sells balut, and I got their price chart. Yessssssss.

5. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    We sell it for $0.75 an egg WHEN we have it. Which is pretty often, our boys are pretty happy to do their part and we don't care about breed standards then, so they are mixed breed. Apparently if we'd seperate the breeds, we could charge more. Right now, we just have the people who know us, they call us a month out and we'll have the eggs ready for them to pick up the day before they need them.

If we have an established customer who wants something exact, we will usually work with them, but we do charge more - about $1.00 an egg or so.

6. RhodeIslandReds

RhodeIslandReds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    Newbie here what is BALUT???

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Fertilized duck embryo that is boiled in shell, cracked open, and usually eaten with a dash of salt after sipping out the broth.

8. western edge

western edge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Edge of the Bakken
    Its incubated for 16 days or somthing like that and then boiled and served up.

9. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    I have to ask, why does the breed matter, I can see the difference in duck and chicken? But, do they want white ones, or colored ones (they is usually the line, in goats, rabbits, chickens)

10. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    I don't know about chicken but duck does pretty good
    my sister went to Orlando FL and bough 1/2 doz from the oriental store for $10

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by