How much $ for on-site processing, Indiana?

stayathomedad

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
A friend and I are getting geared up to process my cornish x's in a few weeks. We've had several requests from people asking if we would process theirs as well for a fee. I'm not opposed to it, but I don't know what a fair price would be. So, if you were to have someone come to your place to process your chickens whole, how much would you be willing to pay? Vacuum packing extra? I'm in northeastern Indiana.

I'm not sure but I'm going to watch this post. I know we have roosters and I also know none of us want to do the processing. We keep telling ourselves we can do it....but that is yet to be seen. I was going to contact a local meat processor and see how much they would charge if I brought the chickens to them.

I initially just wanted to take to processor, but the nearest one I know of is about an hour away. So I bought the whizbang plucker plans to build one, and also making some killing cones and scalder.

i don't know about having someone come to the house...but we go to a gov't inspected processor (here in ontario, canada) and he charges $2/chicken or $4/turkey. wrapped and chilled. i've only ever taken in a small batches to process, but some guys take in hundreds or even thousands. it's a deal i can't pass up!

with a portable setup, you would need to charge enough to cover costs (travel / equipment/ time) but not so much that it would no longer be cost effective for the client. a real fine line. i think your profit margins would be narrow, and would be a real labour of love.

something else to think about may be to offer a 'processing workshop'....where 'students' pay a fee to learn your skill hands on.

good luck.

Last edited:
I couldnt find any one in Indiana to butcher/process chickens for me so I did it myself. I called the local meat market/butchershops and they all said I had to go to OH.

Quote:
Yeah, I believe there is one in Antwerp. I did also find one in, I believe, Lagrange. Lagrange would probably be closer to me, but it's still about an hour trip.

I have been looking for someone in Indiana to do some processing for me. Here or there $4 each would be about the max I would pay.

I gotta drive bout 45 minutes away, but as long as i'm bringing at least 40, they charge 1$ bird (w/o packaging) chilled, and smaller lots are closer to 2ish

Back
Top Bottom