How much handling is too much?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kaleigher, Jun 5, 2010.

1. kaleigher

kaleigher New Egg

Apr 23, 2010
    My six chicks are now five days old (hatched on my birthday!). I want them to grow into friendly chickens and I know the best way is to handle them, give them age appropriate treats, etc, BUT I'm worried about handling them too much! I'm afraid of them getting cold or over-stressed. Any pointers on determining how much is too much? Thanks!

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

At our house there is no such thing as too much handling...lol.

However, I do make DD put them down when they start falling asleep in the midst of a play-time. [​IMG]

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I think at 5 days old you can handle them as much as you want. I think the more you handle them, the less stressed they'll be when you handle them...does that make sense? As for them getting chilled...if you hold them close to you, then your body heat will help them stay warm (in your hands, on your chest, etc). If they're cold, they'll peep very loudly and you can put them back under the heat lamp.

Good luck!

4. vickibiro

vickibiro Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    I have 25 chicks and can't pay enough attention to each one individually so I bring them inside in groups! They really love being held in both hands cupped like an egg and held close. They settle in and close their eyes. So sweet.

5. boehmet

boehmet New Egg

Feb 4, 2010
    I wrote a instructions for newbies on "how" to handle the chicks. Please take a look http://tomboehme.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/chick-handling/.

Comments
    and corrections are appreciated. I probably should put in the idea that there is no such thing as too much handling. I'd like to post it to the whole forum. Is it good enough?

Tom B

6. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    [​IMG] Good article!

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I would handle them as much as possible!

8. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    On handling, I always hold them until they start protesting (peeping, trying to escape, etc.).

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    As long as you're gentle, I think is handling is really good for the chicks. You can go to my BYC page to see how I tame chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by