How much have you ever paid for chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lmarie, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Lmarie

Lmarie Songster

Jan 3, 2009
    Way Over Yonder, GA
    We went to buy some game chicks for free range yesterday, and at the farm we went to the gentleman that was selling them had $250-300 roosters!!! A piece! I was shocked! I have never paid more than $3!!
    Have any of you paid alot for pure bred show birds or anything for that matter?
    My two dollar a piece chickens are the greatest! [​IMG]

2. I'm looking into spending about $750 for a pair of coronation sussex.... Not quite there yet... That's what I get for wanting a rare breed... BAH!

3. chicken+quail=luv

chicken+quail=luv Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    All our chickens were free! We got them from friends, and hatched 4 from fertile eggs from friends.

4. Mrs. Glassman

Mrs. Glassman Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    Cedartown, Georgia
    I have paid $3 a chick in the past for "Feed store brand" chickens. My current flock was free ( one hen, one rooster...all bred from that)

I just paid $2 per egg for BCMs.

IDK about paying the money you are talking about.....that's more than a month's house payment for me!!

If that's what you do, and you have that kind of money, I say there is only one life to live...induldge a little.

I couldn't do it though. [​IMG]

5. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Songster

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    I can't say I understand it. Thus far my most expensive chicken will be one that is still in the bator. Only 1 of 6 is developing and I spent $25 on the eggs.

6. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I paid $50 for a Lavender Orpington cockerel and got a pullet thrown in as a gift.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: