How much heat for silkies?

6chickens in St. Charles

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
St. Charles, IL
For our 6X6 coop with 7ft high ceiling, what's the lowest temp they can tolerate? The silkie rooster has lost his fluff so his head is bare. DH wants me to knit a hat for him.

We have the Silkie rooster, a silkie hen, a rosecomb bantam and 2 eastereggers. 3 out of 5 are tiny little bantam chickens. We will be insulating the coop tomorrow, they are in the basement tonight just in case -12 is too low for them. With the heat lamp on, their water froze and the indoor thermometer read 30F. The tiny rosecomb was moving very slow, so I feared she was way too cold.

What's your best advice for heating their coop? How warm do they need it? I am very thankful for any advice!

Since your coop is probably free of drafts I wouldn't worry about the windchill temp. Our actual temps here have been -6 to -10 the last three nights, with daytime highs in the 20's. The two silkies are in an A-frame coop with no insulation or ehat source, except for the RIR hen that I stuck in with them last night for extra warmth. They don't look happy about the weather but they are doing fine. I'm sure they are praying for the snow to melt and their regular 40 degree daytime highs.

Back
Top Bottom