How much heating assistance?

HilsingerFarm

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2019
Our 9 chickens are now between the ages of 10 and 8 weeks...they have been in a play pen turned brooder in our house all this time. They haven't had a heat lamp in around a month and it doesn't get below 60 degrees where they are now.

Our chicken coop Renovations are finally done and I want to move them outside. We are in Upstate New York and the temperatures can get down well below freezing this time of year. For example the weekend is calling for 40s during the day and twenties at Night. My question is, the coop is about 80 square feet so for nine of them how much heat should I I provide for them? I obviously want to get to the point when they're full grown where I can possibly not heat the chicken coop during the winter unless it gets unbearable but I don't want them to freeze their new chicken tushes off now. Thanks! Also I am going to use shavings for the floor and they do have an elevated Roost to sleep on...

can you post a photo of them? they are probably able to handle going outside without heat. chickens molt in the fall when it's quite cold and have the ability to turn on their internal heater and generate a lot of heat. they need to be free of draft though, maybe create a small partly enclosed area that they can huddle together in overnight if need be. in the transition, their behavior will tell you a lot, if they get loud and distress call and do nothing but huddle together, then you know they need something more.

Have you looked at the mama heating pad thread? You could set up a heating pad for them and then not worry--they'll come and get warm as they need to.

I'd look for the warmest day in the forecast and move them out in the morning, with no additional heat, and keep them locked in a couple of days to home them to the coop. 40s/20s night shouldn't be too bad.

Or if you have a garage or shed that's a little warmer than outside but cooler than inside the house, you can put them in there a couple of days to help acclimate them before transitioning to coop.

I'd look for the warmest day in the forecast and move them out in the morning, with no additional heat, and keep them locked in a couple of days to home them to the coop. 40s/20s night shouldn't be too bad.

Or if you have a garage or shed that's a little warmer than outside but cooler than inside the house, you can put them in there a couple of days to help acclimate them before transitioning to coop.
Unfortunately no where else to transition them. maybe I'll move their play pen in there first before letting them go?

can you post a photo of them? they are probably able to handle going outside without heat. chickens molt in the fall when it's quite cold and have the ability to turn on their internal heater and generate a lot of heat. they need to be free of draft though, maybe create a small partly enclosed area that they can huddle together in overnight if need be. in the transition, their behavior will tell you a lot, if they get loud and distress call and do nothing but huddle together, then you know they need something more.
Thanks! I will put them out at the beginning of the day and keep an eye on them!

Attachments

• 1209191914.jpg
    1209191914.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 18
I put them in over the weekend and they did great! The coldest it got in there was about 42 degrees when the overnight temperature was around 29. They seem quite happy, they're very quiet, as far as no excessive chirping or huddling together. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 0103201148.jpg
    0103201148.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom