How much intestinal shed is normal?

Corid isn't a medication that will harm them if it's used as directed. It blocks what allows coccidia to thrive and become a problem. If you suspect it's a possibility, I'd treat them. It's not going to hurt and with coccidiosis, it's better to be safe than sorry. It kills quick
One of them has had digestion issues, mostly worried about Corid blocking vitamin uptake. I assume better safe than sorry

Have you tried offering some plain yogurt? Some folks like to add ACV to their water to help with digestive issues. Or those packets of probiotics that are added to the water. I'm sure you probably already know these things because you come across as one that has looked into this.

That's a tough spot to be in. I'm so sorry. How long has that chick had issues?

Are you absolutely sure you are seeing intestinal shed? What is the substrate the chicks are on? My chicks are on construction sand, and there are orange gravel bits in the sand that, when damp from their poop, resemble the exact color of intestinal shed. So it's important that you are accurate in what you're seeing.

Chicks do shed intestinal lining, but not in every poop. It's still not something I would become alarmed over, though I would certainly watch the poop for signs of the shedding increasing. Then it could signal a problem.

I had a hen a few years ago that was shedding copious amounts of intestinal lining. There was more of it than there was poop. She was also lethargic, so her behavior combined with pooping out her intestinal lining signaled probable infection. I treated her, not with Corid, but with an oral antibiotic. She recovered well.

As @HeatherKellyB mentioned, it never does harm to treat with Corid if you suspect coccidiosis. It only blocks thiamine, a single B vitamin, and your chicks are past that early stage where thiamine deficiency could cause significant issues, so I also see no harm in it. But since the chicks aren't signalling a problem with their behavior, you can also afford to take a wait and see approach and be ready to step in with an antibiotic or Corid or both should the chicks behavior change or the shed lining increases. Note that not all strains of coccidia produce bloody stools.

Back
Top Bottom