How much intestinal shed is normal?

Are you absolutely sure you are seeing intestinal shed? What is the substrate the chicks are on? My chicks are on construction sand, and there are orange gravel bits in the sand that, when damp from their poop, resemble the exact color of intestinal shed. So it's important that you are accurate in what you're seeing.

Chicks do shed intestinal lining, but not in every poop. It's still not something I would become alarmed over, though I would certainly watch the poop for signs of the shedding increasing. Then it could signal a problem.

I had a hen a few years ago that was shedding copious amounts of intestinal lining. There was more of it than there was poop. She was also lethargic, so her behavior combined with pooping out her intestinal lining signaled probable infection. I treated her, not with Corid, but with an oral antibiotic. She recovered well.

As @HeatherKellyB mentioned, it never does harm to treat with Corid if you suspect coccidiosis. It only blocks thiamine, a single B vitamin, and your chicks are past that early stage where thiamine deficiency could cause significant issues, so I also see no harm in it. But since the chicks aren't signalling a problem with their behavior, you can also afford to take a wait and see approach and be ready to step in with an antibiotic or Corid or both should the chicks behavior change or the shed lining increases. Note that not all strains of coccidia produce bloody stools.
Thank you! Super helpful. I’m confident it’s intestinal shed, but a very small amount. I can attach a pic in a bit, but there’s nothing else they have access to that could cause this color. They’re eating a starter crumble and on paper towels currently. I’ve raised a number of chicks and see it here and there with our hens, but never consistently as I am with these ones.

They have been slightly more lethargic today than before, but nothing that would signal disease to me. The other concerning thing right now is one has been sneezing for the past week with light discharge. The other is not sneezing at all. This seems likely disconnected from digestion issues though.

Seasoned chicken keepers such as yourself subconsciously pick up on any deviation from normal behavior and also notice symptoms early on. Embrace that. You are well ahead of the game armed with this early warning system.

Do you have Tylan on hand? It's a broad spectrum antibiotic and easy to use with chicks as long as you have a slender oral syringe. I suggest you be ready with that should any of the chicks become noticeably slower or show suspicious respiratory symptoms. If you have none on hand, it's a good idea to get it now and have it on hand. It has a good shelf life. You can get it here without a prescription as long as you aren't in California. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07BC1-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5

Seasoned chicken keepers such as yourself subconsciously pick up on any deviation from normal behavior and also notice symptoms early on. Embrace that. You are well ahead of the game armed with this early warning system.

Do you have Tylan on hand? It's a broad spectrum antibiotic and easy to use with chicks as long as you have a slender oral syringe. I suggest you be ready with that should any of the chicks become noticeably slower or show suspicious respiratory symptoms. If you have none on hand, it's a good idea to get it now and have it on hand. It has a good shelf life. You can get it here without a prescription as long as you aren't in California. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07BC1-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5
I don’t! I saw you post that previously and thought that I ought to get some. Thank you for plugging again. I’ll buy some now to keep on hand. I always struggle to decide when something is a big enough issue to treat. Obviously there are the extremes when you know definitively, but when they’re walking around alright and exhibiting some concerning signs it’s tough.

Just tried ordering to Washington and said I need an Rx. 😞

Your state must require it. Don't give up. There's another one we can try.

https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/ It's even easier to use.
I don't want to derail this thread. I went to that site, and there are a few meds I've seen talked about here, specifically:

Fish Biotic Amoxicillin
Corid
Tylocin Powder
Doxycycline Powder
or a mix of the two above, called Doxy-Tyl

I have never had a reason to use any of them, so I don't have any on hand. :oops: What is the shelf life of these, and should I get any/all of them to stock my medicine cabinet? Roughly $100 plus shipping to get all.

It's a very good and useful assortment that can treat a variety of disorders. If you can swing the expense, I would recommend getting them. Shelf life is pretty long. I ignore expiration dates and go by appearance of the med and effectiveness before I toss it out. You'd be surprised how long these meds can last beyond when the manufacturer recommends shoving more money their way.

Back
Top Bottom