how much is "chicken sitting" worth?

I get paid $20/day to stay-in house sit for one animal, plus $2.50 per pet thereafter. My friend charges $18 per day to pet sit a dog in her house. The low end to get someone to come out and check the critters, feed/water is $10/day. It also depends on how far from town you are and how complicated the feeding/watering is.

My setup just requires a quick 15 minute or less visit to make sure everything is kosher. Everyone is self-sustainable for a week barring a catostrophe. $10/day.

30 minutes or less = $15/day

1 hr = $30/day

Then add the gas it will cost them to get to/from your house. Gov't rate is .555 cents/mile, most charge this if they are running a legitimate taxable business.

A good idea to get rates in your area is to call around to a few dog/cat boarding facilities and check the daily rates. Also ask if they have people that do home visits.
smile.png

Quote:
This sounds ideal. She does loads! But in 30-45 minutes... I don't think so! It takes that long just to walk the dogs, let alone feed the horses (my mum holds the bucket for hers
smack.gif
) Does she charge $25 based on the number of chorse/animals or is that standard?

Yes! That's what she said. Dogs are allowed out in to fenced back yard for their walk, so I guess they walk themselves. Chickens are auto water, auto feed so unless we are gone more than 1 week, nothing to do but check. Horses are on auto water, trained one whistle and into the stall they go for 1/2 scoup AM and PM, pasture grazing in summer, round bale hay for winter so no hay to toss. Gates can be checked on the way to and fro the chicken/horse barn. Fence charger has a indicator light. Scoupable litter in liter box for kitty. Dogs get dry food. I have done it all in 15 minutes, at a run when I have to.

No the charge is $25 per visit, I assume their is some limit on what she would do for that, but so far the minimum is $25 and the maximum has been $25. And she is prompt (85 year old neighbor that has nothing to do but watch for her).

I pay $18/visit for a half hour visit. Stopped making that poor lady do the chicken/rabbit stuff too.....so she lets the dogs out, scoops litterboxes and feeds dogs/cats. I do two visits a day when I am gone (3 would be better). I have 4 dogs and 3 cats, plus usually a couple guinea pigs or rabbits that need food/water refilled in the laundry room. I used to have her go out and let out chickens AM and lock them up PM but now that I have multiple pens and 30+ rabbits that need tending to, I have asked a neighbor to do that instead.

Thanks for the info! I guess $10 a day sounds like a going rate? They'll just need to feed and water- the chickens will be fine staying in for that amount of time and I'll do a thorough cleaning before I leave. Hopefully he/she could give the shavings a stir but my coop is huge and not a lot of chickens in there so it takes a good while for it to get really messy. So far no one responding but I'm in Ashland City for the person who asked. Plus whoever comes will get 8-10 eggs every day!
big_smile.png

I personally just do it for free for my neibours but i also love taking care of birds so not like its a chore. I just do mine then head over and do theres. That way if i gotta go outta town sometime there likely to return the favor. You can get auto feeders and waterers if you want that last up to a week at a time all they would have to do is look in and make sure there isnt a problem then go on.

Quote:
I agree, I would do it for free if someone asked me, but it's not really like a job to me, I enjoy it, someone who doesn't whole other story.

Originally the old couple that lived next door offered to do it for free. They were dependable and close.

What happened? My daughter married into the military and he was stationed in San Antonio Tx. To visit my daughter, grand daughter and son in law, we drove the 500 miles twice per month. It didn't feel right scheduling my nieghbor's weekend for them, twice a month. Once every now and again, that's what nieghbors are for. Two or three times a month every month, just not right.

Back
Top Bottom