How much is your license fee?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by sjmjrgkmg, Oct 24, 2009.

1. sjmjrgkmg

sjmjrgkmg Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Hi all,
    I live in a Rochester NY where we do need a license to keep chickens. I was appalled to find that the already steep (in my opinion) fee of $25/year was increased to $37 - plus we have to get it notarized, bringing the annual cost to about $40/year. A dog license is $7. I only keep four hens in my backyard, but the license application makes it sound like I'm running a business. I talked to the guy at city hall in charge of licensing, and he gave me a long winded speech about cost of responding to complaints, compliance, blah blah blah. So I'm going to city council with a suggestion about lowering the fee, but wanted to know how much it is in other urban (or suburban) areas. Am I whining over nothing? Are all of you paying this much as well? Thanks in advance for responding.
    Sue

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    No fees here.

3. YankeeRider

YankeeRider Chillin' With My Peeps

No license required-no fee in our small Connecticut town.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    No licenses or fees of any sort.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Here no license is required for up to 5 hens. If you want to keep more than than, you can then apply for a license to keep up to 12 hens and that is $25 per year.

6. Marbleheader

Marbleheader Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Marblehead, MA
    $25 per year for as many as they'll let you have. We got our license in September, so the first $25 isn't going to far.[​IMG]

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    None. I would lobby to get the fee in line with dogs or get it dropped all together.

8. PlymouthRocker

PlymouthRocker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Plymouth County MA
    $25 for dogs, cats, horses, chickens - - - - EACH KIND gets charged $25 with no limit on how many in each category.

9. no fee for chickens and $10.00 rabies shots for dogs, which I gladly pay since we live so far back in the woods, to many wild animals. marrie

10. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

$10 a year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by