How much is your production down?

imthedude

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
CO
We're down to 3 or 4 eggs a day now from our 9 girls. It's not light until after 7 now and is pretty dusky by 6:30, so I'm sure it has to be the shorter days, but I didn't expect it to happen this quickly. Are other folks seeing the same drop in production?

Yep, down to 4 eggs daily from 14 hens (in Sept we were 11 of 14). In fairness, 3 are just finishing up molting and finally starting to look like a hen again.

One of today's activities is to get the light on the timer set up in the coop.

My girls are just starting to lay and have not seen any decreas from when the first 2 started laying a week ago. Though the decreas in daylight is 3 minutes a day now! The other 5 have'nt started laying and don't want the lack of light to hold them off. Going to add a 13w soft light (energy star) staring today as the daylight is seriously dwindling here too. Barely lightend sky at 7 am when we open the door and they are inside roost by 5:30 pm. Using a timer and going to start light at 7 off at 8, on again at 5 to 6 pm. Will add a 1/2 hour each Sunday from there. Currently here in norhtern New England we've under 10.5 hours and it gets under 9 hours of daylight soon enough. Ugh...

I have 10 hens and 2 pullets. The 2 pullets have not begun laying yet. Out of the 10 hens I have 1 raising babies, 2 that are molting, 1 that quit laying for her molt. So that leaves 6 left. I got 2 eggs yesterday. I can't wait for these pullets to start laying!!!!!

I am down to 1 or 2 eggs a day out of 5 girls who have been laying! Two are in FULL molt and two are in light molt...and my BR keeps pumping out an egg almost every day!!! My FBCM girls are just starting to get color in their combs and the Ameraucana girls are only 17weeks old..

We're down to about 1/2 or less. I don't mind it though, I figure if their bodies need a break they deserve one. Just means I won't have any extras to share with family and friends.

Back
Top Bottom