1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much is your production down?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imthedude, Oct 31, 2010.

1. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    We're down to 3 or 4 eggs a day now from our 9 girls. It's not light until after 7 now and is pretty dusky by 6:30, so I'm sure it has to be the shorter days, but I didn't expect it to happen this quickly. Are other folks seeing the same drop in production?

2. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Yep, down to 4 eggs daily from 14 hens (in Sept we were 11 of 14). In fairness, 3 are just finishing up molting and finally starting to look like a hen again.

One of today's activities is to get the light on the timer set up in the coop.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Im having fluctuating laying. One day maybe 4 or 5 the next day 7 or 8. I have 8 that are laying.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Yep we need to add light as well!

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    My girls are just starting to lay and have not seen any decreas from when the first 2 started laying a week ago. Though the decreas in daylight is 3 minutes a day now! The other 5 have'nt started laying and don't want the lack of light to hold them off. Going to add a 13w soft light (energy star) staring today as the daylight is seriously dwindling here too. Barely lightend sky at 7 am when we open the door and they are inside roost by 5:30 pm. Using a timer and going to start light at 7 off at 8, on again at 5 to 6 pm. Will add a 1/2 hour each Sunday from there. Currently here in norhtern New England we've under 10.5 hours and it gets under 9 hours of daylight soon enough. Ugh...

6. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm still getting four to five eggs a day from my five girls.

Jenny

7. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw a drop off and then added the light and timmer. Production back to normal.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have 10 hens and 2 pullets. The 2 pullets have not begun laying yet. Out of the 10 hens I have 1 raising babies, 2 that are molting, 1 that quit laying for her molt. So that leaves 6 left. I got 2 eggs yesterday. I can't wait for these pullets to start laying!!!!!

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I am down to 1 or 2 eggs a day out of 5 girls who have been laying! Two are in FULL molt and two are in light molt...and my BR keeps pumping out an egg almost every day!!! My FBCM girls are just starting to get color in their combs and the Ameraucana girls are only 17weeks old..

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    We're down to about 1/2 or less. I don't mind it though, I figure if their bodies need a break they deserve one. Just means I won't have any extras to share with family and friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by