How much light since winter coming??

They say that they need 12-15hrs of sunlight (depends on the breed?). I am just going to give them some light in the dead of winter.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't always do what They say. Read, learn and make informed management decisions for yourself. With winter coming on, I prefer the hens use most of their calories in keeping warm, not for top egg production. That top production can come next spring and summer.

I add few hours of pre-dawn light, (but none in the afternoon or evening) because our days get down to only 7 hours of daylight, here at 45th Parallel, half way to the North Pole. I have to do morning chores at 6 am anyhow and I need to see, so I have it come on at 5 am year around. So, in fall and winter, there is no practical way to give them that 12-15 hours of light you spoke about. But that's OK. First year pullets will lay reasonably well, even at just 10 hours of total light and the rest? Well, they'll lay about half the time. But that's quite alright with me.

I added an Indoor compact fluorescent bulb to my coop a week ago and have been pleased with the results. I have a timer that turns it on at 3am and off at 8am once the sun is up. The first few age they just looked confused, now they let themselves out into the coop and run around and roost even tho its still dark when I drive by at 5:30. Egg laying is up but still not at summer levels.

Back
Top Bottom