How much light since winter coming??

I'm in Ohio too. I shut the coop windows now, since it's been cold and rainey in my area, and so I turn the lights on around 7:00 am, and I shut them off at 9:00pm.

Our supplemental light comes on a 5 am year around. I feed at 6 am anyhow, so I need the light too.

It goes off at 10 am. Whenever the sun sets, year around, they go to their roosts naturally, whenever it is. Our first year pullets lay well their first winter and don't need a lot of encouragement.

Quote:
I use one of the 13w compact fluorescent bulbs on a timer. Just enough to see (don't want to step on any babies!) but not a fire hazard.
smile.png

I am very interested to learn the answer to this question, also!

1. I'd love to know what type of bulb should be used to just give them the 14 hrs of light they need.

2. However, at what temp should I start using the heat lamp? It's going to dip into the 30s in a few nights, so I was starting to get concerned. Do I leave that on all night? If so, how does that affect their production? I also dont' want to bake them, if that's possible.

Thanks!

Quote:
1. Doesn't matter... use what you have.
2. -75°F.

big_smile.png

Yes, it IS possible to bake them.
wink.png

Last edited:
Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:
1. Doesn't matter... use what you have.
2. -75°F.

big_smile.png

Yes, it IS possible to bake them.
wink.png

I'm lighting the coop with white indoor/outdoor christmas lights - what I happened to have on hand - it's festive. I was surprised at how much light two strands of that stuff gives off!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom