How much space for 200 chickens?

Does anyone know how much roosting space or barn size is needed for about 200 free range chickens?
I've seen recommendations anywhere from 7" to 15" roost space per chicken, not taking into account if they are tiny Sebrights or huge Jersey Giants. Your breed and size can factor into it. They can sometimes squeeze up petty tightly once they are on the roost, especially in cold weather, but they may want to spread out more in hot weather. And they need room to fly up and land. If you only have a few chickens it takes a higher percentage of roost space to give them that room. With 200 chickens that percentage would be a lot less. To me there is no one number that works well in all circumstances. More space than you need can get expensive. With 200 typical dual sized chickens I'd be happy with 8" per chicken, no more than 9".

Barn size will depend on a lot of things. Will they be stuck in that barn a lot in bad weather? That could be a heavy rain or snow or a blizzard. Maybe a real bad windstorm. Will you be leaving them locked in there until you let them out in the morning or are they free to come and go at any time? Do you anticipate leaving them locked in there if you have a predator issue where something is killing them until you take care of the predator? That can take days or weeks. For me the more room the better but I understand how expensive that can be. 200 chickens sounds more like a commercial operation than somebody keeping a few as pets. I have a lot of trouble coming up with a reasonable number without knowing a lot more about the chickens, your climate, and your planned management techniques.

Back
Top Bottom