I assume if I use artificial light in the winter, I need to provide food/water during that extra time?

whitenack

Chirping
May 5, 2020
central KY
Hey all. I am thinking about adding a light inside the coop this winter to increase egg production. I assume the chickens will need access to food/water during this extra "awake" time? I have set up my coop/run in such a way that food and water are out in the run, but I do not plan to get up at 3 or 4am in the winter to let them out of their coop. Therefore, I need to move the food/water into the coop during the winter months. Correct?

Maybe. How many hours per day are you planning for them to have access to food and water? It matters how cold it is and how many egg they lay.

It isn't so much that they need feed and water all the time they are awake as it is they need time to eat and drink enough. "Enough" is more the colder it is and the more eggs they lay. Also, while they can survive on meals, they do better eating small amounts often.

Maybe. How many hours per day are you planning for them to have access to food and water? It matters how cold it is and how many egg they lay.

It isn't so much that they need feed and water all the time they are awake as it is they need time to eat and drink enough. "Enough" is more the colder it is and the more eggs they lay. Also, while they can survive on meals, they do better eating small amounts often.
During the shortest days of the year, to maintain 15 hours of light a day, I'd need to set a light to turn on at 3am. Our current routine is to let them out into their run around 7:30 each day. In other words, they would be going 4-1/2 hours without food/water. From that point on, they would have access to food and water until the end of the day.

I am rather surprised at this response from you and AArt on keeping the feed available all the time. Is that your own personal preference? Or do you have some special reasoning?

I only keep feed available like that if I am going to be gone for days. I only put out enough fro the day. When I over fed, I had a lot of feed waste, and mine would bill it out, and not eat spilled feed. This makes me get out there to see them too.

I am rather surprised at this response from you and AArt on keeping the feed available all the time. Is that your own personal preference? Or do you have some special reasoning?

I only keep feed available like that if I am going to be gone for days. I only put out enough fro the day. When I over fed, I had a lot of feed waste, and mine would bill it out, and not eat spilled feed. This makes me get out there to see them too.
@Mrs. K Do you use supplemental lighting?

I keep feed and water in the coop all year around any way, but think it makes sense that if the birds are awake, and can see, and you're expecting them to put out eggs, they a should have both available.

Last edited:
In winter, we provide only water in the coop unless it is very cold. Then they get feed in their coop too. They eat more in winter bc that is how they keep warm. We do use light on a timer in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom